News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Combat Infantry Badge

Guest Darrell

• 1 month later...
    • 5 weeks later...

Sometimes I find stuff like this in an antique store. So I had to bring the thread up to the top... upper one is a pretty standard 'sterling' marked one with silver plated clutches...

Edited by hunyadi

well the upper one in that post is the bottom one in the first post... clear- now - when mated next to the IAB...you can have no question to its German manufacture...I wish the CIB was maker marked, but its not.

Edited by hunyadi

Has the criteria for the award of the CIB/CMB, been reduced somewhat since WW2. or is it the same. The reason why I ask is, I recently read the book `Under the Gun`, about a National Guard soldier, who deployed on OIF III, during the book he gives an account of day to day life during his deployment. I don`t recall him being involved in any fire fights, he deals with a few grime things granted, but I don`t re call him every claiming to have been under direct fire, just that he was in a war zone, at the end of the tour he is awarded the Combat Medical Badge?

I also believe that there is now a new Cobat badge, for personel who are not Infantry or Medics.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Gordon, I think your badge is a Parachute-Jumper qualification. PJs are specially-trained medics capable of parachute insertion into wherever their medical skills are needed, whether it is a combat situation, rough country where you cannot land or winch down, at sea (they have to be excellent swimmers) and so on.

This is a WWII to 1950s era US Para Badge as it has a pin back rather than clutch back. Other than stars for combat jumps, no other insignia was authorized on this badge. But I've seen several over the years where the owner has added something to the badge, such as R for Rigger or the Latin Cross for Chaplain. I suspect the Caduceus was added by the owner to designate that he was an airborne doctor or medic.

Here is the badge worn by an Air Force Pararescue Jumper (PJ).

Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Lest we also not forget the huge jump in interest of the para wings after a few movies and an HBO special. The fakes of these are out there and so are the fantasy ones :rolleyes: But there were also a whole bunch of "unofficial" wings as well.

Oregon Citizen-Soldiers Receive Combat Medical Badge

FOB WARRIOR, Iraq - Six citizen-soldiers from Oregon were awarded the Combat Medical Badge in a ceremony held on Jul. 8 at the Task Force 3-116 Armor Battalion Aide Station.

The Soldiers received the awards for providing care to the wounded after three separate attacks by insurgent forces.

The Combat Medical Badges were presented personally by 116th Brigade Combat Team commander, Brig. Gen. Alan Gayhart, who commended each of them on the performance of their duty.

The recipients of the awards are:

• Medford, Ore. soldier Spc. Richard Egan of Headquarters and Headquarters Company, and Spc. Nicolas Kettaneh of HHC, both of whom are attached to F Batttery, 188th Air Defense Artillery, provided medical attention after an indirect fire attack on the Delacruz range, Iraq.

• La Grande, Ore. soldier Sgt. 1st Class Louis Gerber of HHC, along with Reedsport, Ore. soldier Spc. Raymond Viers of A Company, rendered medical attention after an IED detonation near Dogmat village, Iraq.

• Spc. Alan Yanez, a soldier from The Dalles, Ore., of the Scout Platoon, and Spc. Isaac Witcraft, a soldier from Nyssa, Ore., of A Co., (who was unable to attend), provided medical attention after an IED detonated near Hawijah, Iraq while they were on combat patrol.

All are members of TF 3-116 Armor and all were awarded the badge for rendering medical attention while participating in combat operations under hostile fire in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom III.

Brig. Gen. Gayhart spoke informally with the entire formation of Soldiers afterward, answering questions and addressing concerns.

The 116th Brigade Combat Team supports the government of Iraq in the areas of Security, Economics, Government and Communications.

The 116th Brigade Combat Team is composed of units from Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Utah, North Dakota, Maryland and New Jersey. The unit is comprised of headquarters and staff sections, the 2nd and 3rd Armor Battalions, the 1-148th Field Artillery Battalion, the 1-163rd Mechanized Infantry Battalion, the 145th Support Battalion, the 116th Engineer Battalion and various intelligence, signal and specialized units. The 116th BCT is one of several Army National Guard units deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom III.

I might also add that one sees them on car bumper stickers over here.

I always give a nod to a chap with one on his car...it says, been there, done that in a simple, but elegant way.

• 10 months later...

I finally got ahold of a two piece variant of the CIB. I love the detail given to the veins on the wreath. Anyone know if there is a way to determine where these pieces were made?? How rare are these things, I don't see them very often.