News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bronze Star

Stanski

Hi,

My Grandfather (on my mothers side) was awarded the Bronze Star Medal. I have a copy of the citation which reads:

Lt Col john Reffelle Spencer, (Regimental No. 113260), British Army is awarded the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious service from 1 March 1944 to 8 May 1945. Lt. Colonel Spencer rendered conspicuous service to the United States by assisting U.S. agencies in the coordination of overseas shipments of petroleum supplies from the U.K. to the U.S Forces in Northern Europe participating in the war with Germany. His devotion to duty and sympathetic dealings with the problems arising in connection with this work contributed materially to the successful supply of petroleum products to the Allied Forces in Northern Europe.

How do I find out any more information about the award and possible a copy of his certificate. no one in my family has this and the above came from the Public records office in Kew London.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

James (Stanski) :D

James,

As you probably know, the award was in the London gazette, 14 November 1947, page 5351, with this heading:

The KING has been pleased to grant unrestricted permission for the wearing of the following decorations which have been conferred on the undermentioned personnel in recognition of distinguished services in the cause of the Allies.

That and the citation are about all you'll find on the award (in fact, finding the citation is usually fairly difficult). The certificate may or may not have ever existed. But, a replacement certificate can certainly be requested. This link will get you to the Army's contact points for such matters:

https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/active/TAGD/a...ts/contacts.htm

I have two WW2 Bronze Stars, in my collection, both issued to US soldiers, one I think the the Ardennes and the other for the Far East, I have been unable to find out any other info on them whatsoever, so if you do find a way please let me know!!! :cheers:

What are their names?

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

From the Social Security Death Index:

Robert Muckle

born 17 December 1909

died Athens, Georgia (zip code 30601) May 1993.

Social Security number 258-01-1930 issued in Georgia

That's probably him.

Genealogical searchings reveal every single person in Northumberland NOT an ancestor of mine was apparently named Robert Muckle FOREVER... and over the border into the Lowlands as well up there.

Try the Athens City Clerk for an exact death day and ask about what local paper would have carried his obituary.

From the Social Security Death Index:

Robert Muckle

born 17 December 1909

That's probably him.

Genealogical searchings reveal every single person in Northumberland NOT an ancestor of mine was apparently named Robert Muckle FOREVER... and over the border into the Lowlands as well up there.

Try the Athens City Clerk for an exact death day and ask about what local paper would have carried his obituary.

Cheers Rick, thats smashing thank you!!!!!

"From the Social Security Death Index:

Robert Muckle

born 17 December 1909

That's probably him.

Try the Athens City Clerk for an exact death day and ask about what local paper would have carried his obituary."

Have done a little digging, and evidence points to this being the guy? I suppose I`ll never know for sure?

Robert L. Muckel (Army serial number: 33876554) enlisted on 7 Aug 1944. He was born in 1926 and was from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

Guest Rick Research

Muck-el, not Muck-le?

Pennsylvania is a Hell Research State. You have to GO to Harrisburg IN PERSON for ALL records--even your own.

Enlistment in August 1944 for a Bulge award doesn't seem too likely. I don't know anybody who was shipped overseas to the front in that little time.

Muck-el, not Muck-le?

Pennsylvania is a Hell Research State. You have to GO to Harrisburg IN PERSON for ALL records--even your own.

Enlistment in August 1944 for a Bulge award doesn't seem too likely. I don't know anybody who was shipped overseas to the front in that little time.

Rick, re research your very right, I gave up in the end. Also I agree with the Bulge point as well, maybe just maybe a Far East award, or tail end of Germany Award. I don`t even know who he served with he might have been a chef for all I know? :cheers:

Sorry about the name mis spelling too!!!! :banger: My sausage fingers ho,ho,ho