News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for Valor

Looking at the suspension ring and the handwriting I'd say its wrong. The fact that an early number could end up on a 5 sided suspension could be nothing other than the regrettable (not necessarily though!!) 1943 decree converting rectangular 4 sided suspensions to 5 sided suspensions. However, I do not like the medal itself.

Jim

It looks like that the reverse was heavily polished, so they could engrave a new mint mark. Look at the patina on the obverse and on the reverse. They are not constant on both sides. There is more patina on the obverse. The engraving is also very crude! Not like in my books.

I look a second time at the medal and, it could be a original one. Comapare the P in the word CCCP

with a P in the later versions of the medals and with the earlier one. The P looks okay for a hand engraved medal.

Maybe the ring broke off and was replaced later.

regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

Hi Jim

You mean this number is fake?

I would have tended to say so. Or at least until Andreas comparison. I would still probably steer away from based on the suspension ring and handwriting. But then again, if you did not pay a fortune for it it may have been a gamble worth taking after all ;)

Having said that, serial number handwriting styles can vary and the only way to be certain if that is correct is to try and find similar numbered medals and compare engravings. As for the 5 sided supsension, as I said its the least worry!

Usually the problems with bravery and combat service/military merit medals is that the later postwar variations were not serial numbered and are yet ALMOST identical at first glance....well almost not quite! What one comes across most is later un-numbered medals having an engraved serial number onto them.... or alternatively having old serial number polished out and an earlier one engraved in its place.

Jim

I look a second time at the medal and, it could be a original one. Comapare the P in the word CCCP

with a P in the later versions of the medals and with the earlier one. The P looks okay for a hand engraved medal.

Maybe the ring broke off and was replaced later.

regards

Andreas

Hey Andreas

The 5xx is rather close to the 683 although could be closer. What is your comment on the handwriting style?

Jim :cheers:

It looks to me like it has either undergone serious and drastic repairs . . . or that something else has happened. Personally, I'd give this one a wide berth, awaiting one that seemed either better preserved and/or more legitimate.