News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Order of Saints Kyril and Methodius

Browsing on the net I have come upon a site with the photo below: Vint Cerf receiving the Bulgarian Order of Saints Cyril and Methodius with insignia resembling that of the old (1909) order with the same name.

vint-and-president700x500.jpg

Does anyone know when did Bulgaria re-establish this order and/or other details about it?

The only thing I know about it is the International Commission on Orders of Chivalry lists this as a house order of the Royal House of Bulgaria, so the former king, Simeon II, can still award this order if he so wishes (depending on how the Bulgarian law works).

Successor governments often pass laws forbidding the awarding of former ruling houses orders, but it is generally accepted among chivalric scholars that the successor governments actually have no authority to regulate house orders. They may forbid them and make them illegal, but that doesn't stop the head of the former ruling house from disobeying the law and awarding them anyway. The head of the house may suffer legal consequences for disobeying the law, but his awarding of the orders is still valid, just not recognized by the successor government.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

The person to the left of the photo above is not Simeon of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, but Georgi Parvanov, the President of Bulgaria. And the order appears to have been presented in the Presidential Palace. This suggests that the order is now part of the system of orders of the Republic of Bulgaria.

Here is another photo from the awarding ceremony in the summer of 2006 (from flickr).

181711084_f674b3a3bb.jpg

One more question, a bit off the topic of the thread. What are the implications of an order being listed as a dynastic order by the International Commission on Orders of Chivalry? ICOC lists the Romanian Order of Michael the Brave as a dynastic order of the Romanian Hohenzollern House. At the same time, the same order has been reinstituted in 2000/2003 as the highest military order of Romania, its traditional position in the national system of orders up until 1947. Furthermore, the Romanian government considers the surviving knights of the order from WWII as full members of the new order, King Michael included among them.

One more question, a bit off the topic of the thread. What are the implications of an order being listed as a dynastic order by the International Commission on Orders of Chivalry? ICOC lists the Romanian Order of Michael the Brave as a dynastic order of the Romanian Hohenzollern House. At the same time, the same order has been reinstituted in 2000/2003 as the highest military order of Romania, its traditional position in the national system of orders up until 1947. Furthermore, the Romanian government considers the surviving knights of the order from WWII as full members of the new order, King Michael included among them.

I'm no expert, but I would guess a "purist" would consider these to be two separate orders with the same name and insignia. I believe the Republic of Portugal awards some order (I don't recall which one) that is still awarded by the royal house too.

I'm no expert, but I would guess a "purist" would consider these to be two separate orders with the same name and insignia. I believe the Republic of Portugal awards some order (I don't recall which one) that is still awarded by the royal house too.

Petrov's "Orders and Decorations of Bulgaria" 2005 edition provides full information on the current Republic of Bulgaria's Order of SS. Cyril & Methodius (book for sale on eBay item 290054642965). I do not have that book available at present so cannot offer more info. The president of Bulgaria's website used to have information on awards. Simeon of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the former Czar and most recently the ex prime minister of Bulgaria, may still award the royal order. It appears that King Mohammed of Morocco is the most recent known recipient (2001?).

Edited by 922F

Petrov's "Orders and Decorations of Bulgaria" 2005 edition provides full information on the current Republic of Bulgaria's Order of SS. Cyril & Methodius (book for sale on eBay item 290054642965). I do not have that book available at present so cannot offer more info.

If someone has this book, I would appreciate receiving some details about the Order of Saints Cyril and Methodius. Thank you.

petrovaf4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have found some information on the net regarding the new Bulgarian orders.

By the Act on the Orders and Medals of the Republic of Bulgaria, adopted by the XXXIX National Assembly on May 29, 2003, Decree No.230 from June 9, 2003, promulgated in the State Gazette, issue 54 from June 13, 2003, and the Act on Amendment and Supplementing the Act on the Orders and Medals of the Republic of Bulgaria, adopted by the XXXIX National Assembly on May 20, 2004, Decree No.184 from May 20, 2004, promulgated in the State Gazette, extraordinary issue 43 from May 21, 2004, modern effective orders were instituted and their statute was established. Listed by their seniority, these orders are:

1. The Order of Stara Planina;

2. The Order of St. St. Cyril and Methodius;

3. The Order for Civil Merit, the Order for Military Merit, the Order of the Madara Horseman.

The Order for Bravery - not included in the seniority ranking.

The Medal for Merit

• 2 months later...

From this page (in bulgarian): http://www.bgbusiness.com/normativedocs.ph...&act_id=658

????? "??. ??. ????? ? ???????"

??.5. (1) ? ????? "??. ??. ????? ? ???????" ?? ??????????? ????????? ? ????? ????????, ????? ???? ?????? ?????? ?? ?????????? ?? ?????????, ??????????, ????????????? ? ???????.

(2) ??????? "??. ??. ????? ? ???????" ??? ???????? ???????:

1. ???????;

2. ????? ?????? - ?????? ? ???????? ?????;

3. ????? ?????? - ???????? ? ???????? ?????.

(3) ? ????? "??. ??. ????? ? ???????" ?? ???????????:

1. ? ??????? - ???? ? ??????? ??????? ??????? ?? ?????????? ?? ?????????, ?????????? ? ???????;

2. ? ????? ?????? - ???? ? ?????? ??????? ? ???????? ?? ?????????, ??????????, ????????????? ? ???????;

3. ? ????? ?????? - ????? ?? ?????????????, ????????? ? ??????????? ????.

(4) ????? "??. ??. ????? ? ???????":

1. ???????:

?) ?????? ?????, ?????? ? ?????, ?? ???????? ?????? - ???????? ? ??????? ?? ?????? ? ??????????? ?? ??. ??. ????? ? ??????? ? ?????? "??. ??. ????? ? ???????", ?? ????????? ?????? ????? ????????? ? ??????????? ?????????? ??????????? ? ?????? "????????? ????????", ??????? ????? ???????? ?? ??????; ????????? ??? ??????????? ?????????; ???? ?? ?? ???;

?) ?????? ?? ?????? ? ???????: ????? ?????? ???? - ?????? ?????, ?????? ? ?????, ???????? ? ??????? ?? ?????? ? ??????????? ?? ??. ??. ????? ? ??????? ? ?????? "??. ??. ????? ? ???????", ??????? ????? ???????? ?? ??????; ???? ?? ?? ?????;

2. ????? ??????: ?????? ?????, ?????? ? ?????, ???????? ? ??????? ?? ?????? ? ??????????? ?? ??. ??. ????? ? ??????? ? ?????? "??. ??. ????? ? ???????", ?? ????????? ?????? ????? ????????? ? ??????????? ?????????? ??????????? ? ?????? "????????? ????????", ??????? ????? ???????? ?? ??????; ???? ?? ?? ?????;

3. ????? ??????: ???????? ?????, ?????? ? ?????, ???????? ? ??????? ?? ?????? ? ????????????? ?? ??. ??. ????? ? ??????? ? ?????? "??. ??. ????? ? ???????", ?? ????????? ?????? ????? ????????? ? ??????????? ?????????? ??????????? ? ?????? "????????? ????????", ??????? ????? ???????? ?? ??????; ???? ?? ?? ????

Translation:

(1) Order "Sts Cyril and Methodius" awarded to bulgarian and foreign citizens in areas of culture, arts, education and science.

(2) Order "Sts Cyril and Methodius" consist of the next degrees:

1.Collar;

2.First grade ? gold with orange ribbon;

3.Second grade ? silver with orange ribbon.

(3) Order "Sts Cyril and Methodius" awarded:

1.Collar ? for particulary outstanding merits in development of culture, arts and science;

2.First grade ? for outstanding merits in areas of culture, arts, education and science;

3.Second grade ? for merits in education, culture and literature.

(4) Order "Sts Cyril and Methodius":

1. Collar:

a)Collar badge: Gold enameled cross, on the obverse: medallion with Sts Cyril and Methodius and inscription "Sts Cyril and Methodius". On the reverse: at the top ? bulgarian national tricolor and inscription "Republic of Bulgaria". There are flames between rays of cross. Collar consists of ellipsoid medallions and wear on the neck.

b)Star: gold rayed with cross in the center with medallion with Sts Cyril and Methodius and inscription "Sts Cyril and Methodius". There are flames between rays of cross. Wear on breast.

2. First grade: Gold enameled cross, on the obverse: medallion with Sts Cyril and Methodius and inscription "Sts Cyril and Methodius". On the reverse: at the top ? bulgarian national tricolor and inscription "Republic of Bulgaria". There are flames between rays of cross. Wear on breast.

3. Second grade: Silver enameled cross, on the obverse: medallion with Sts Cyril and Methodius and inscription "Sts Cyril and Methodius". On the reverse: at the top ? bulgarian national tricolor and inscription "Republic of Bulgaria". There are flames between rays of cross. Wear on breast.