News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I need a little help;and the Imperial bug has bitten deep.But also still new at this!9 year service medal I got,this is the first time I have seen this.I did try to do my homework first.I searched here and other sites too no avail!Saw some pics but they were preoccupied with another medal.For any help saying they are good or bad would be appreciated.

Scott

Guest Rick Research

No no no.... JEEZUS! It looks like an OLD one-- do NOT for the love of God CLEAN it. The pre-1906 ones were a dirty bronze color, then they went to nice gold like the Prussian ones.

Most of the 1906+ ones I have seen were marked W&Co for Weiss. Shown with an XV for size comparison:

I no longer have this one from the 1890s, but note color from the scans:

I think yours is this OLD type that somebody polished as shouldn't have. Let it get its chocolate patina back.

My father is (or better: we are) the seller, and the piece is as well in my humble opinion genuine, as well as the 40 year cross is ... :speechless1:

I think yours is this OLD type that somebody polished as shouldn't have. Let it get its chocolate patina back.
    This might be indeed possible, as all the orders and decorations offered come from an old collection of an elderly (ca. mid 80s) man who doesn't want to collect anymore and wants his things to be well sold as long as he's still alive, as his doughters are not interesset at all. Many of his things are polished, and some are even "zaponiert", whatever it means in English ... :rolleyes:

Keep looking on Ebay, there'll come up some more things. :P

OK now I need a little bit of knowledge.What is the differance between a pre 1906 and a after 1906,just the color?Also saschaw is the band original,quicker to ask here then there.My only doubt is that one MOD has doubts;anotherone does not.Small medal for some,but very interesting for me!

Scott

ps what 40 year cross?

Edited by Scott P

The ribbon is not very long, and might not be genuine - but in my humble opinion not very hard to get as it uses the same ribbon as the other, much more common Bavarian long service awards.

The cross for 40 years is made from silver, and partly enemalled. It is really rar, much rarer than this one. Pictures might follow, as soon as I have scanned it.

Guest Rick Research

Until 1906, BRONZE which turns lovely chocolate color with age patina 100 years later. From 1906 they were GILDED. It's not a question of polishing but of the finish.

• 8 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Or, with wartime double, 30 actual calendar years in 1920. Somebody with a colonial campaign for a bit of extra time, and this could be a bit less "real" time even than that.

But this is still a Generals/Colonels/Lieutenant Colonels sort of award (and much more lowly administrative types) that I have not seen in literally YEARS. :cheers:

Yes you're right, these are real beauties. =)

Or, with wartime double, 30 actual calendar years in 1920. Somebody with a colonial campaign for a bit of extra time, and this could be a bit less "real" time even than that.

According to Nimmergut, they were only awarded until 1918, so there shouldn't be a 1920 maths ... ;)

But this is still a Generals/Colonels/Lieutenant Colonels sort of award (and much more lowly administrative types) that I have not seen in literally YEARS. :cheers:

This nice bar has been sold on eBay.de just a week ago, for 1.210,- Euro ~ US $1,750.- ... ;)

Guest Rick Research

Ah, very nice Beamten bar, and just the sort of recipient I meant.

So, if they stopped in 1918, that means 1886/87 would have been the last year (except for colonial veterans) to have joined and still got one, since Bavaria continued bestowing long service awards during the war. :beer:

For a very nice portrait of the pre-1906 bronze XXIV, see

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22836

I watched that bar the whole time it was up and still think the price is way up there for the awards represented on the bar. I wonder if the recipient was known. If I remember correctly, the seller had no documents with it, but the combination might have been researchable?

• 9 months later...

Recently I got an almost matching ribbon bar to the medal bar from Post #19, with the Michael order, not merit cross grade's ribbon. But, a Bavarian collector told me some time ago that they were not to accurate with those three different Michael ribbons, at least not on ribbon bars and lapel bows. What do you think about grade of Michael and of the long service award?

Guest Rick Research

I think you got the same guy's ribbon bar--or somebody's just like him. An Oberregistrator in the Kriegsministerium or some such OLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLD Beamter.