News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freikorps

I am doing some research into the different Freikorps units that existed in Germany post WW1 and into the 1920's. The history of this period is very complex and a little confusing with units renamimg and combining at a rapid pace. I would like to try and piece together a comprehensive list of units, their commanders, insignia and their history. Is anyone aware of any publication that has done this already ?

Edited by Chairman

The Friekorps were created in late 1918, they were made up of predominately WW1 veterans but many adventurers and students aligned to the right with nationalist outlook were also quick to join the ranks. There were many units created by various officers of varying ranks (but usually characters who were respected by their men) to assist the new republican government fight the communist elements of post war Germany. The Freikorps were violent freebooting private armies answerable to no one but their own commanders. The republican SDP government viewed them as a necessary evil and used them to put down the communist actions in Berlin, the Ruhr and Munich as well as fight in the disputed territory of Upper Silesia. Their lifespan was short and bloody with a few of the more moderate units being merged into the newly formed standing army (Riechswehr) in 1920. The near civil war that came about post WW1 is estimated to have claimed the lives of over 25,000 German citizens. Many of these were the victims of the bloody revenge partaken by Freikorps units in crushing the Bolshevik ?menace? The more radical elements still existed in an underground form well after 1921 and took part in the Putsch of 1923, this failed Putsch saw the end of the Freikorps for good. The Freikorps were essentially right wing soldiers, many of which were men who had fought long and hard in WW1 and could not settle back into civilian life. Although 1923 saw the end of the Freikorps many went on to form the SA and serve under the Nazi?s as well as join other veterans organisations such as Stahlhelm.

• 1 month later...
    Guest Atilla Jones

The book you need is 'German Uniforms, Insignia & Equipment, 1918 - 23', by Charles Woolley, a Schiffer publication, not cheap but full of remarkable photos, including a WW1 A7 tank on the streets of Berlin. Excellent uniform info too.

By coincidence I have that very book sitting on my bookshelf. I managed to borrow it off someone, but unfortunately have just not had the chance to read it properly as yet. There are some fantastic photo's in it but as you say bloody expensive.

Unfortunately all the Schiffer books are way over priced, they are lovely publications and usually contain some fantastic photo's and images, but they are simply too expensive.

If they brought their prices down there are many I would buy simply as reference books for my bookshelf, the tow volumes on German Steel Helmets being prime examples, and I don't even collect steel helmets.
    ninja.gif

Edited by Chairman

Guest Atilla Jones

I agree they are bloody expensive, but sometimes they are, as they say 'The only game in town'. The Iron cross volume, 'The Iron Time', also a Schiffer I beleive, is just magnificent, and delivers a magnificent bill for around ?80.

Guest Atilla Jones

Takes a lot to get this jaded old bod enthusiastic, but it really is a revelation, would go so far as to say probably the perfect piece of military reference. Apart from anything else, excellent layout and graphics. I learnt a lot from this book.

• 2 months later...
    Guest Rupert 1649

Hi

For my first post, it might seem apposite to mention that I was led here through googling for Freikorps ( or as some prefer, Freicorps ), and one small site that might prove interesting to German-speakers is this:

Der Reiter gen Osten

Even for those of us who admire the Germany that was, eg: the Kaiserreich, but unfortunately are not good at the language, can admire the layout...

Rupert

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

If you are familiar with the Osprey series of paperback books, in the Elite series, "The German Freikorps, 1918-23", by Carlos Caballero Jurado, is a very good little book.

Lots of photos and illustrations including unit insignia.

• 3 months later...

Hello Chairman,

If you are interrested, I have a bibliography of 22 pages concerning the history of the Freikorps.

I can recommand the following books :

WAITE (Robert), Vanguard of nazism, the history of Freecorps, New-York, Harvard University Press, 1969, 344p.

VENNER (Dominique), Baltikum. Dans le Reich de la d?faite, le combat des corps-francs 1918-1923, Paris, Robert Laffont, 1974, 366p. R??dit? aux ?ditions Pygmalion, 1996, 380p. I think this book has been translated in english

I have made a little work about one unit : Freiwillige Landesj?gerkorps of General Maercker (it is in french).

Let me know if you are interrested by something.

Regards

Christophe

• 1 year later...

The Friekorps were created in late 1918, they were made up of predominately WW1 veterans but many adventurers and students aligned to the right with nationalist outlook were also quick to join the ranks. There were many units created by various officers of varying ranks (but usually characters who were respected by their men) to assist the new republican government fight the communist elements of post war Germany. The Freikorps were violent freebooting private armies answerable to no one but their own commanders. The republican SDP government viewed them as a necessary evil and used them to put down the communist actions in Berlin, the Ruhr and Munich as well as fight in the disputed territory of Upper Silesia. Their lifespan was short and bloody with a few of the more moderate units being merged into the newly formed standing army (Riechswehr) in 1920. The near civil war that came about post WW1 is estimated to have claimed the lives of over 25,000 German citizens. Many of these were the victims of the bloody revenge partaken by Freikorps units in crushing the Bolshevik ?menace? The more radical elements still existed in an underground form well after 1921 and took part in the Putsch of 1923, this failed Putsch saw the end of the Freikorps for good. The Freikorps were essentially right wing soldiers, many of which were men who had fought long and hard in WW1 and could not settle back into civilian life. Although 1923 saw the end of the Freikorps many went on to form the SA and serve under the Nazi?s as well as join other veterans organisations such as Stahlhelm.

hello all,

I would like to know if any of you can help me with one question regarding the Freikorps?

I am wondering where was the regular German army during the freikorps operations? why they weren't used by the new republican government to fight the communist elements of post war Germany and in the case of the disputed territory of Upper Silesia?

thanks in advance!

Guest Rick Research

1) The regular army did not want to get involved in a civil war on the streets, so stayed in barracks polishing their boots and drawing pay.

2) The army was afraid to get involved in border disputes because the armistice was NOT a peace treaty, and action by regular troops against the Poles etc might have reopened the World War. So they stayed in barracks, polishing their boots and drawing pay.

1) The regular army did not want to get involved in a civil war on the streets, so stayed in barracks polishing their boots and drawing pay.

2) The army was afraid to get involved in border disputes because the armistice was NOT a peace treaty, and action by regular troops against the Poles etc might have reopened the World War. So they stayed in barracks, polishing their boots and drawing pay.

Thanks Rick!, for the clarification, I got the picture about the army polishing their boots and drawing pay. :speechless1:

one more question, who pay the Freikorps? the government did it officially? or used irregulars ways to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Guest Rick Research

Freikorps pay was a combination of secret and deniable government "black" funds and local "interested parties" raising their own local self defense forces.

Except for the navy units, which must have still been drawing OFFICIAL government pay!

Freikorps pay was a combination of secret and deniable government "black" funds and local "interested parties" raising their own local self defense forces.

Except for the navy units, which must have still been drawing OFFICIAL government pay!

Thank you Rick!