News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Japanese Flag

Brian Wolfe

Hello All,

Here is my Imperial Japanese flag that has been covered in Kanji messages. The flag measures 32 inches in lenght and 26 inches in width and is silk. I have tried to figure out what has been written on the flag and all I have so far is the large symbols along the top figured out. Basically it is a wish for as long and shinning career in the military. The other writings I am told are similar in content. The styles of Kanji include formal, flowing and stylish.

I have been told that young Japanese soldiers would purchase these flags and then have well- wishers sign them for luck. Because the helmets of the day had very poor padding these flags were often folded and stored in the helmet both for luck and added comfort. This may not be fact but that was what I have been told.

I had to photograph the flag from an angle as my beer fridge and I were in the photo when I took it straight on.

Cheers

Brian

Brian,

I Love your flag! The more Kanji in my book the better. It looks great framed as well. I started to slowly collect more and more Japanese Militaria over the years and have grown to appreciate it more and more. Right now, the only flag currently, that I own is an Imperial Army Rayed Flag.

Regards,

Joel

Brian,

I Love your flag! The more Kanji in my book the better. It looks great framed as well. I started to slowly collect more and more Japanese Militaria over the years and have grown to appreciate it more and more. Right now, the only flag currently, that I own is an Imperial Army Rayed Flag.

Regards,

Joel

Hi Joel,

I have some Japanese swords that I will be posting at a later date. A couple date to the 1650s but most are WW II. They go well with the flags (I also have the Imperial Army rayed flag but not framed).

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Here is the one my father brought back from Burma in 1945. He told me that most the stains were human blood!

Medals030.jpg

Along with the cash that they removed from dead Japs.

011_11.jpg

Hi 'jonightflyer

Nice Japanese flag, I think you have it up side down though. Since each soldier would get his flag signed by his own friends or perhaps his priest each flag becomes an individual piece of art. I believe the stains on my flag are caused by sweat rather than blood.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

I think you have it up side down though. believe the stains on my flag are caused by sweat rather than blood.

Oops... not much of an expert on these! Dad also gave me a Samurai sword taken in the same action... it had a kind of black and white mosaic scabbard made of wood with the mosaic pattern glued on in some way. To my everlasting horror, my brother and I used to use this sword for swordfighting and hence ruined the razor sharp cutting edge and bits of mosaic fell off the scabbard also due to our misuse. :blush: Military items such as these were not considered of much significance when he gave them to us.

More senninbari; a so-called "tiger belt." I've been informed that women born in the "year of the tiger" could apply 12 stitches, or up to their age. This one has a block "hanko" stamp.

The Japanese translates correctly to "thousand-person-stitches" and not "thousand-stitch-belt."

Edited by Ralph A

I have to say I do like Japanese "Meatball" flags, the one shown here was brought back from burma in 1945. It was picked up from the battle field at Kohima by member of the 4th Bat Royal West Kents that fought a whole Japanese division for 14 days.

It was found in the crown of a helmet. I have another flag from the same place and same man which has a tiger on it, i will get that photographed and posted, its the best one I have ever seen.

thanks

Here are two flags I took snaps of whilst at 2 Singapore museums. One is a surrender flag taken by British troops

at Fort Canning. The description tag said it shows the Japanese character YAMAKA, and to a relates to an ordnance unit.

The meatball flag hangs at the Ford Factory museum.