News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this Soviet ODM real or not?

There are at least 6 features on this order that are not correct. For example, the arch (window) on the tower should be ONLY single-bordered for all 1st class Glories. On this order the arch is double-bordered.

Hello slava1stclass

How to see about fake?

Dear "usairforce",

in addition to the expertise of Andrew, please look at:

- the missing 5th rasberry at the left side of the laurel (typical for a certain series of fakes!)

- the fake patina (it is almost impossible to fake a gold patina!)

- the odd form of the clock at the Spassky-Tower

- the whole propartions of that tower, incl. the star at the top

- the s/n. at the rv.: too flat

Best regards :beer:

Christian

• 3 weeks later...
    • 7 months later...

While I consider myself just learning in such matters, "slava", that was my "gut" feeling too. What markers prompt you to say this with such confidence?

Ed,

Glad to help you out - that's why we're here. Nature of the stamps as well as "heavy" cursive. Unfortunately, our colleague usairforce has posted other items of this caliber in the past.

Regards,

slava1stclass

I wonder if the text (handwritten or stamped!!) was written by an 80 year old shell shocked vet of the patriotic war who never wrote a word of cyrillic in his life. Guess its my way of saying I do not like the looks of it!!

Although having said that, I cannot put my finger on anything in particular (as probably some may) other than the fact that it looks odd! Guess this may need moving over into the fakes section!

Jim :cheers:

Ed,

Glad to help you out - that's why we're here. Nature of the stamps as well as "heavy" cursive. Unfortunately, our colleague usairforce has posted other items of this caliber in the past.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Thanks, 'slava', I appreciate this. I feel better in that the things you picked up on (all of them) were the same as what had bothered me. I might just be learning . . . .

I also recognise there is a thin line between educating ourselves and educating the fakers (so they do it better next time).