News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A recent pick with two ribbons from Baden. I am a little confused on the Baden ribbons. I know they are for the Merit Medal of the Military Karl-Friedrich Merit Order but why two? Any help with the id is appreciated

1. EK

2. Baden

3. Baden

4. HH?

5. MS MMV2? or MS?

6. Hindenburg

A recent pick with two ribbons from Baden. I am a little confused on the Baden ribbons. I know they are for the Merit Medal of the Military Karl-Friedrich Merit Order but why two? Any help with the id is appreciated

1. EK

2. Baden

3. Baden

4. HH?

5. MS MMV2? or MS?

6. Hindenburg

Paul, the first one of the Baden Ribbons is for the MKF Merit Order and the second one is for the Merit Medal. Thats a beautiful little set, you have there.

Gerd

So the first Baden ribbon is the Military Karl-Friedrich Merit Order Milit?rischer Karl-Friedrich-Verdienstorden and the Verdienstmedaille des Milit?rischen Karl-Friedrich-Verdienstordenserdienstmedaille des Milit?rischen Karl-Friedrich-Verdienstorden. Is that correct?

Be clear which wreath is which.

A green enameled wreath indicates the Military Karl-Friedrich Merit Order. A silver wreath indicates the Merit Medal of the Military Karl-Friedrich Merit Order. No wreath indicates the Merit Medal on the ribbon of the Military Karl-Friedrich Merit Order, the basic Baden equivalent of the Iron Cross 2nd Class.

Baden_MKFVO.jpg

BsM_1_UB.jpgBsM_2_UB.jpg

Baden_silber_VM_1.jpgBaden_silber_VM_2.jpg

I think the wreath is silver. I have to take a closer look. Dave I have to tell you that you website is a fantastic source of information. I use it for not just Germany decoration but for many countries. I must refer to it at least 2-3 times a day. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, and so this one can only be for "Milit?r-Karl Friedrich-Verdienstmedaille" and a normal "Verdienstmedaille", which is a typical combination for Baden's highest bravery-decorated NCOs. A "MKF-Verdienstorden" is impossible to an NCO ...

BTW, a golden wreath on this ribbon without enamel was used to indicate a Small Golden Merit Medal.

To round out the combinations, if you have two MKFVO ribbons - one with a green enameled wreath and one without - that would most likely indicate a junior officer who received the Verdienstmedaille on the MKFVO ribbon as an officer candidate and then the MKFVO as an officer. But in many, if not most cases, such an officer would likely have received a Z?hringen Lion Knight 2nd Class in the interim, which would take precedence between the two.

W?rttemberg also used wreaths to distinguish the Military Merit Order from the gold and silver Military Merit Medals.

A Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz and a Mecklenburg-Schwerin MVK (more common than a Meckl-Strelitz Cross for Distinction in War) would seem to indicate a naval connection. There aren't any army unit connections that jump to mind for Baden and those two, especially for an enlisted soldier, and no dynastic connections, though an enlisted aviator is a possibility.

Recipients with naval connections aren't that common either. Just skimming rapidly because I don't have much time, the first one I encountered was at the letter "D" - Unteroffizier Friedrich Deschner, who received the Silver Military Karl Friedrich Merit Medal on 6 September 1917 while serving with Marine-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 3. The next one wasn't until "F" - Sergeant d.R. Johannes Fischer of Marine-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 1 (Silver Medal on 31 October 1918). I ran across 4-5 aviation recipients in the same pages, but it's probably easier to look up those in Neal O'Connor's Volume VI.

It's not easy to quickly scan the list as it includes all recipients of all grades - Grand Cross to Silver Medal - from all wars - Napoleonic to WW1.

• 4 months later...

Nice Baden bar. I've been searching for about 10 years for a nice Baden pre 1919 ribbon bar for my 22 Dragoon O/Lt. I have a two place but it needs a 4-6 place bar

Nice NCO bar... Milit?r-Karl Friedrich-Verdienstmedaille on a ribbon bar are uncommon.