News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting CDV of Prussian Lieutenant

Sam

Cool picture. J.R. 15 was part of the 26 Inf. Brig of 13 I.D (exclusively on the western front). Also included in the 26 Inf. Brig. was J.R. 55 and Jag Btl. 7. I would presume the tie in for SLKVK in the bar would be for the 3rd Batl of J.R. 55 or from Jag Batl. 7 since they are from Lippe-Detmold and Schaumberg-Lippe, respectively. I'm not sure what the tie for a Bavarian other ranks medal (not order) would be for this unit. Looks like an NCO promotion ...

Dave

Hi,

I thought I'd post this interesting study of a prussian lieutenant with an EK1 and 3er spange consisting of the EK1, MVO4x, SLKVK.

Regards,

Sam

Just "L", not "SL". The Kreigsverdienstkreuz of Lippe-Detmold, not Schaumburg-Lippe. IR 15 was a Westphalian regiment garrisoned in Minden, on the Weser to the north of Lippe-Detmold and just across the river from Schaumburg-Lippe. It wasn't directly connected to the two principalities, but indirectly, especially to Schaumburg-Lippe.

It would make more sense were there an "R" on the cover, since RIR 15 was the reserve regiment for both IR 15 and IR 55. III./RIR 15 was raised in Detmold, the capital of Lippe.

Yes. Trapezoidal bars were an archaic fashion by about 1915/16... +/-. However, many NCO's. long-serving other ranks and holdover officers from Colonial era still wore them. Expensive to change.... perhaps. You will even find the style used into the 1920's!!

Guest Rick Research

It would indeed have been a VERY odd style of MEDAL bar for an officer, and that makes it a VERY interesting portrait! He must have been a fairly early recipient of the EK 1-- which I also would guess from the facial shrubbery, and the number still on the helmet cover, so perhaps he decided on a cheapie dual purpose bar. I bet this was taken in 1915, before the smaller ribbon bars were authorized. :cheers: