News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusual 1st Type Black Wound Badge

Hi Guys,

I'm not the wound badge aficionado by any means, and do not actively collect these, so any help with this one would be greatly appreciated. I received this WB along with a couple of other little goodies in a trade I conducted. Finding this particular one unusual, I looked around to try to find another like it, but I've not been able to locate another with a backing plate affixed as part of the badge. It seems to have a Juncker hinge/catch system, but it has no marking at all. There is a little 'vent hole' directly beneath the catch. It's pretty lightweight (18.7 grams) and is superbly made. Is this indeed a Juncker made badge, and lastly, is this some type of variant or are they common like this?

ERIC

Thanks very much for your reply Fugpaw. Can anyone else add anything? Thanks in advance!

ERIC

Eric, with your permission I'll post this WB on another forum where I'm fairly sure there we'll get some further responses.

Also, you might want to try posting it in the Wound Badges forum here.

Edited by Fugpaw

I for one do not like it.Have not seen before,one reason.Dot pattern looks flat.Dont like the

the back with that stain, looks cast.....Sorry I say No.

Just my opinion.... :rolleyes:

don

Edited by don

my addled brain has been trying to remember where

i've seen this private-purchase or post-issue

alteration before. i have seen it, and the one i saw

was decidedly a black verwundetenabzeichen.

being that these were very early issue "39's, there was

still the leeway to tinker with them. i have seen my share

of crappy fakes, and believe this is not remotely close.

could this be a post-war violation of a nice '39 Type 1?

perhaps. but i think it more likely to be a plausible

alteration. JMHO.

i think the book remains open, but would have this in

my collection if i still collected wound badges.

jdc

Somewhere in one of the books it says something about the higher grade spanish styles having a plate on the back like this....

If these were made by the some companies that made some of the terrible 1930s would badges for WW1 vets, it may not need to be WW2 quality..

You guys can think what you wish...I have been collecting and studying wound badges for a while

.I have not seen this one and my own warning flags for me are up.Right now there is a rash

of 1936 screw back fakes out there.Great care must be taken when buying the oddballs.

My opinion

don

You guys can think what you wish...I have been collecting and studying wound badges for a while

.I have not seen this one and my own warning flags for me are up.Right now there is a rash

of 1936 screw back fakes out there.Great care must be taken when buying the oddballs.

My opinion

don

Don, I understand your apprehension; I've never seen a first type with a backplate and I've seen a lot of first types, that said - more research need to be done on this one.

Mike

The backplate itself on the 1st type isn't a problem, its not that rare on the silver grade, but I've never encountered a black one with plated-over back. The silver ones don't normally have the small vent hole under the retaining clip and those I've had the hairline join between the obverse and the backplate was barely visible.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and replies! Special acknowledgement to Gordon, who in turn shed some light on the fact that this 'backplate' style actually did exist, and for the photo supplied of the silver version.

ERIC