News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Export Musket for U.S. Civil War?

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

I've got a few more camera shots, but don't have it here for an on hands recheck.

The lock has a crowned "VR" and what appears to be the date 1855.

Markings on the stock which don't come out well at all include the Broad Arrow, what may be "OH" and "ICR" and "Barnes & Co Fenchurch St London."

Is this typical "surplus" brought over for the U.S. Civil war, or would there be different markings-- from BOTH countries-- on such exported weapons?

Haven't a clue, either of us.

Obviously. :rolleyes:

Guest Rick Research

:beer:

What about this odd ?bayonet lug under the muzzle?

The missing ramroad is just replaced by a wooden dowel. What are the chances of finding replacement parts-- or is this one too "relic" to try finding the missing parts?

I am sure that there are replacement parts available, although they might be reproduction. You could have your friend try to look up some of the Civil War re enactment groups. Maybe they could give him some contact information for vendors who sell authentic or reproduction arms, to get the needed parts to restore this weapon.

Paul

Guest Rick Research

It's a smoothbore, with this funny little hoof-shaped attachment:

I'm assuming that's for some sort of specific bayonet to attach.

Here are the stock marks mentioned above in a cartouche stamped on the left side: