News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Steinhauer Iron Cross Production.

Gordon,

thanks for the nice picture row!

I have a question that bugs me for quite some time. I was stated in publications of the time, that the master graveur of S&L, Mr. Escher, did the initial die and ALSO all subsequent dies for the other companies. Can this be true and if yes, why are the dies different?

What can you say or do you know about this?

T.hjanks,

Dietrich

Darrel thats not a S&L though is it, thats a 100 isn't it buddy ?

I've only seen the Mothers Cross being made and going through the stages via pic's, it's nice to see the EK and the steps taken.

I'm sure they were quick smart about it, but it seems a long old process, I'm sure there were heaters in the spraying booth etc

Out of interest Gordon do you have any idea on the production daily or weekly and how many people they employed ?

There just one thing wrong with the pic's, theres no pic of the guy popping them in tissue and envelopes wink.gif Typical, the most important procedure missing laugh.gif

Kr

Marcus

Edited by Marcus H

Gordon,

if one looks at a EK1 or EK2 one can see that there are two finishing steps, basically. One is the silver coating of the frame and the second one is the 'frosting compound'.

Now I honestly could believ that the silvering was done with the finished cross since most likely the galvanic process had no effect on the painted core.

But the 'frosting compound"? How could one achieve to frost the frame with this paint type without leaving ANY trace on the core? The full frame was frosted as can be seen under a microscope. The outer rim was burnished thereby removing the frosting.

I really don't know how to reconcile all this?

Dietrich

I'm staggered by this revelation as well... how literally are we to take the order of production set out in the chart?

Really interesting information and pictures - thankyou Gordon - but you've rather left us with a cliffhanger!! ohmy.gif

regards

Marshall

Don't pretend to have the answers but I don't believe it is a coincidence that the last three photos - in the exact order that S&L provide them, follow exactly the last three stages in that order, of their flow chart. - "befeilen & verputzen" (filing the edges and general finishing work), "versilbern" , (the silvering of the frame) and "polieren" (polishing/ burnishing).

Whatever detailed knowledge we lack today of the process, I don't think S&L would have got the process steps wrong in two separate publications. They must have known what was correct. Especially where the Iron Cross was concerned. This was their main product, in terms of status. S&L were not just another firm that made EKs it was the product of which they were most proud after all they made the original tooling. They were sufficiently proud of this that S&L at that time referred to themselves as the " Der Werkstatt des Eisernen Kreuzes"

Maybe they left out a step? "Versilbern" is not the same step as putting on the frosting. Somehow the frosting was applied to the frame without leaving any trace on the core.

I surely don't know how they did it but I know that they did it soemhow.

As a process related engineer I have no explanation whatsoever how this could be done with a fully completed cross.

But okay, if there's no answer yet, there's no answer yet. It doesn't change the fact of the final product and has no impact on originallity. Just another puzzle to be solved.

Dietrich

Maybe they left out a step?

Dietrich

Most likely explanation. For the purposes of their advertising they probably didn't think it was that important that it needed including as a specific step in the manufacture. As frosting is on top of the silvering then by definition it must have come after the silver process and before the final burnishing/polishing stage they show.

As you say , the fascinating thing is how they managed to do it with a completed assembled cross.