News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

plastic medal envelopes

I've run out of plastic medal envelopes

and the website I ordered them

from last time is out of business

for those of you who don't use them

they do slow tarnishing

and they keep ribbons nice

problem is there are the good ones

that have archival properties

and the bad ones that in time

promote corrosion [different kind of plastic]

I can't remember the differencce

and I can't seem to find a source in the USA

need to order a couple hundred

thanks

Aha... the famous plastic medal wallets!! I had a couple of hundreds which I do not particularly like to use as I am unsure of the properties of the plastic. Like most things plastic, they have a smell to them which is something I do not really like.... although of course, once you open the pack and air them the smell does go especially if you air them for over a year!!! I try to avoid these wallets and prefer to have my items lying in frames or in trays as I fear ammonia and other chemicals used in the plastic that would actually bleach the ribbons and damage the tarnish of the medals.

Yet after airing the wallets, I tried to use some silver and brass medals as a test piece and there was no visible damage over 6 months. Yet I cannot vouch for the use of these after a few years! What I can say is that this trial period convinced me they were safe enough to house my medals for precisiely 1.5 months as they made a trip across the miles and are now waiting for me, locked away in a safe somewhere in their little plastic wallets. I will of course return to liberate them soon :D secure in the knowledge that they will be well preserved. But if I had to stake my money on keeping them permanently in wallets or otherwise displayed..... I would go for the other options.

Of course, if there was a source of 100 percent safe archival wallets with official guarantees as to their quality, then these would always be preferable in a worst case scenario!

Jim :cheers:

Guest Darrell

I store most of my non cased medals in these. No problems. However, I would suggest you NOT store EKs or other medals with iron that may be exposed to trapped moisture in these plastic devices. You may start to see some rusting or corrosion as a result.

Edited by Darrell

Well if you are storing them I would recommend not closing the wallet tightly and packing some silica gel packs in whatever drawer they are in.... followed of course by regular monitoring and drying out of the silica packs. That should help with the moisture... but will not completely solve it.

Of course if your collection room is a bunker, basement or partially submerged room, then there are other implications.... a dehumidifier might help.... but will not completely solve the problem.... again!! The ideal solution is the museum set up with humidity meters etc etc... where does one stop ;)

What I believe is the most important rule is monitor monitor monitor. I cannot say it enough times. Like that, if something looks like its going to suffer any sort of unwanted effects, you can pick up on it before any damage is done!

The standard ones are PVC

polyvinyl cloride

they are not archival

the ones I was looking for are

mylar, they are archival.

why keep them is something?

to protect from the oil on your fingers

the alternative is to wear gloves

In my case I bought them specifically for the move. When transpotring them I needed them to take up the least space and yet be protected from any movement. Only pity is it will take yet another month till I can return them to their framed cases. But I did buy the wallets well in advance to be able to test them before even allowing them to sit for even a week in them.