News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cased "Fr" Friedlaender EK1

Hey guys,

This beauty came in today's mail, a cased 1914 "Fr" Friedlaender EK1. Marking is hard to get on a scan, and doubt I could get it on a picture, small incused relief "Fr" under the catch. Interesting crown design as well, with defined "upper arms."

On the case, is one of the most interesting ones I have handled, but I have very limited experience with 1914 cases. The texture of the outside material seems different than my other cases. (Almost more plastic-like, but not exactly) Also, the pin is not a spring mechanism, but rather a push with a "leverage bar" from what I can conclude without tearing it apart. The top of the catch is also interesting, as instead of a 1 piece it has the regular shaped flat piece, with a soldered on piece on top of the catch to give it more width up top. (Will try and get some pics of this later, hope the description isn't too bad) Does this sound familiar to anyone? Passes the blacklight test OK.

Thanks guys!

Kind Regards,

Steve

Very nice Eks! And a question to the experts-are morecore variations known? I'm shure that "Fr." and "FR"have exchanged parts.I remember that I've got some 2nd class EKs in my collection.Mike-any ideas? Unfortunately I'm in Amman at the moment and I haven`t got access to my database!

Miicha

i am in agreement with herr garvy...

i can't remember where i saw the info

that helped me make this MM ID, but

this is not the first i've heard it.

written in stone? nope.

but the info will spring forth verifying it one day!

so NICE to look at these EK's.

joe

Its the danger of matching initials with names that may or may not fit. They may seem logical.... but....

I just spoke to Mr Reif on the phone, first thing he said to me was all the badge making dies were long gone, I guess they get a lot of collectors calling. When I said I just wanted to know if they had made WW1 Iron Crosses stamped FR, he said no, the firm had a different name back then and FR could not have been Frank and Reif.

Best

Chris

Its the danger of matching initials with names that may or may not fit. They may seem logical.... but....

I just spoke to Mr Reif on the phone, first thing he said to me was all the badge making dies were long gone, I guess they get a lot of collectors calling. When I said I just wanted to know if they had made WW1 Iron Crosses stamped FR, he said no, the firm had a different name back then and FR could not have been Frank and Reif.

Best

Chris

I never quite believed in the Frank & Reif suggestion. They advertised themselves as a "metal stamping" firm and the badges that they produced in WW2 at least were simple one piece stampings (GAB, PAB etc) of the type any engineering firm could churn out. I never really had them down as producing stuff like the EK which needed a bit of "finesse" in its construction/finishing.

Here is a link. Though I don't consider it Gospel, it is an exhaustive listing showing FR as Frank und Reif but who really knows??

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/stuff/1914_EK2_makers.htm

Regards,

Joel

I think the list has been done with a collector saying "A possible match..." and putting the name down.

As Gordon says, Frank and Reif is and was a "metal stamping" firm,

Would be curious to know WHAT they were called back then, but the FR on the crosses must be someone else.