News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Firemen's Medals

I have decided to post these pictures I took on our visit to the Fireman's Museum as a separate thread. Since the other thread is concerned primarily with uniforms we should have a reference thread that concentrates on Firemen's medals. Please cased and uncased medals plus any award documents you may have of either professional or volunteer firemen. If there are some with historical background that lead into medals issed during the period 1948-1990 please post them as well.

These pictures are of a display wall in the Fireman's Museum on Martinovics Ter in Budapest. Some are dark but will have to do until we can arrange to get better ones. If that is possible.

Edited by Gordon Craig

• Replies 66
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ulsterman,

You are right about the plethora of firemen's awards. I'll do my best to shine some light, no pun intended!, on the ones that I own. I spent time over the weekend translating stuff from the blue book on the volunteer firemen's medals with the five year bronze medal in my collection as a guide. Today I added a 10 and 20 year medal to my collection so I am a lot better equipped now to cover all the missing info in the book, and that is a lot! It will take me a few days as I want to make sure I get it right the first time. To give you an idea of how little is known about these medals, even here, the dealer I bought the 10 and 20 year medals from asked me what they were! Of course, once I told him the price went up considerably from the one I bought last week.

Cheers,

Gordon

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: I'm surprised to see straight suspension ribbons, not trifolds. What are those-- newest ones, or some oddball non-traditional experiment?

Rick,

These medals seem to follow this unusual pattern of straight ribbon for a cetain time period and it would seem to be the original way they were issued. In my research I have also come across these medals with the normal trifold ribbon. Of the medals inspected, the two suspension types turn up in about equal numbers although I am only talking about 10 medals here including the ones on display at the Fireman's Museum.

Regards,

Gordon

here's the latest from CD:

I suspect its 1980s issue-lighter, brassy alloy instead of the heavier "silver" type thinner medals.It's a twenty year service medal.

I note three or four different types of ribbons on these types of medal alone and then there's the professional firefighters' medals, the enameled ones from 1974....there's a lot to collect here.

But what do all the different grades mean: part time, full time, merit, long service, combinations, bravery...?

By the way, what is the book in picture #3 above?

Edited by Ulsterman

Ulsterman,

Sorry, but I do not know what the book is in picture number 3. The museum is worth another visit and I'll try and remember to check it out while I am there.

I am not sure what you mean about "three or four different types of ribbons on these type alone". Both professional and Volunteer Firemen have the same system/type of ribbon colours. A red ribbon with the Hungarian national colours and a light grey stripe next to them. Sometimes in the centre of the ribbon and sometimes on the edge. It is a complex subject and rather than go into it hear I'll wait until I post what I have already written on the Volunteer Fireman's Service Medal and then move on to the others. I thought I would have it posted by now but every time I think I am through I get some more information.

Regards,

Gordon

:Cat-Scratch: I'm surprised to see straight suspension ribbons, not trifolds. What are those-- newest ones, or some oddball non-traditional experiment?

Rick,

After a few days of staring at these pictures of ribbons and medals, plus looking at the medals in my collection, I have come to some possible conclusions.

1-The 5, 10, 15. and 20 year medals were originally produced with the straight hangers and the 30, 40 , and 50 year medals were originally produced with the triangular ribbon hanger. The book we use for reference that we refere to as the "Blue Bible" was printed in 1979 and shows both series 5 to 20, and 30 to 50 years with a triangular ribbon. The medals depicted in this book are only line drawings so not 100% conclusive.

2- We know that there are medals in the 5 to 20 year series that have triangular ribbons. There are sufficient of them out there to prove they authentic.

3- Since the triangular ribbons are considered authentic on the 5 to 20 year series we can only conclude that the ribbon style was changed sometime prior to 1979.

Thanks for your question. The more I have stared at the pictures to resolve your question the more things in them I have noticed. Learned a lot that way!

Regards,

Gordon

Good day everyone !

One short summary from the hungarian fireman medals between 1945-1990.:

1., Fire Preventation Department Medal. Awarded from 3. nov. 1951 - to 1956 in three grades:

- Silver Grade with Golden Strap

- Silver Grade

- Bronze Grade

2., Fire Preventation Department Medal. Awarded from 14. oct. 1956 - to 1990 in three grades ( from 1974 with name: "Fire Protection Medal" with the same form, but the diameter is only 35 mm instead 40 mm ):

- Golden Grade

- Silver Grade

- Bronze Grade

3., Volunteer Fireman Service Medal from 1958.

Up to 1974: with pentagonal ribbon, awarderd by the Minister of the Interior.

- After 5 years

- After 10 years

- After 15 years

- After 20 years

Edited by Zsolt

The 2nd version of the Volunteer Fireman Service Medal from 1974 up to 1990.

With trifold ribbon, awarderd by the County Fireman Commanders.

- After 5 years

- After 10 years

- After 15 years

- After 20 years

Edited by Zsolt

Volunteer Fireman Service Medal with bronze wreath, silver wreath, gold wreath from 1974 up to 1990.

With trifold ribbon, awarderd by the National Fireman Commander.

- After 30 years

- After 40 years

- After 50 years

Company Fireman Service Medal from 1974 up to 1977.

With trifold ribbon.

- After 5 years

- After 10 years

- After 15 years

- After 20 years

- After 30 years (with bronze wreath)

- After 40 years (with silver wreath)

- After 50 years (with gold wreath)

very cool-but what's the difference between a "company fireman" and a "volunteer fireman"? Regular -vs-volunteer or did companies have their own fire departments?

Also, whats the fire prevention service?

very cool-but what's the difference between a "company fireman" and a "volunteer fireman"? Regular -vs-volunteer or did companies have their own fire departments?

Also, whats the fire prevention service?

Hi!

Usually in every place (city or town) You can find local volunteer firemen organizations. At bigger companies there are professional company firemen.

Zsolt