News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unmarked AWS screwback

Hi Micha,

Nice cross! Also very interesting!

The core on this example is very different to the core on my AWS marked needle-pin example. It tells me either AWS used (at least) two cores or there were (at least) two makers of pillow-back EK1s. I would be intersted to hear if anybody has, or has seen, a MARKED AWS example with the core type on your screwback cross.

With this particular distinctive core type (short but wide crown, "notches" at the bottom of the numbers, distinct "4") there are other examples which do not have the pillow back. See here;

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13645

Interestingly, the pin on my wide-pin example in the above link can also be found on some pillow-back examples.

Regards

Mike

You are right,Mike-the core is different to the "regular" pin and screwbacks we know from "AWS"-For me it looks like it's a sheetmetal core-the quality isn't also the best so I would suggest it's a piece from the late 20ies. And of course it could also be that we have here a totally different maker that has used "AWS" design of the backplate. Maybe I should make a big question mark behind "AWS".........?

Micha

Of course no general question mark for AWS,just for this one!I also would like to see a maker marked one(on the backplate)....

@Greg-it seems to be that the washer is mostly missing(at my other one also)

Micha