News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 month later...

Regarding the mention of fakes of the Narvik with the small 4 etc, here is an illustration from a wartime publication on the Kriegsmarine Note that it is a photo, not a drawing.

Firstly, look at the numeral "9" in the date. Clearly it has a shorter , stubbier "tail" than the 9 normally seen. So, any suggestion that the lack of the longer tail on the 9 is suspect is just plain wrong, as clearly wartime pieces also had the shorter tailed 9.

Next, look at the "4". It may be that my eyesight is playing up, but compare the size of the 4 with the 0. To me the 4 looks just that little bit smaller than the 0. Certainly the proportions are different to the original pieces shown in this thread.

I don't doubt that there are fakes around with the shorter, stubby 9 and the smaller 4, but it looks like it might just be that the fakers have copied original types with these features.

Hi Gordon...this is the same shield Nes posted above...I'll re-post with a better view of the 4. It does appear slightly smaller but an original Juncker shield never the less.

The small 4 fake copies this KM shield. The diagonal bar on the 4 always appears slightly curved (to me anyway) as well as being disproportionately small.

That is a beautiful shield. I hope to one day own a nice Narvik without the Zinc pest. I could easily place my current sheild with my Kriegsmarine display. I have done the Vasaline treatment to the shield, I do it about every 6 months. I live in a sort of damp environment. I do use mini humidifiers. So far, I have been able to contain the pest.

That is a beauty Peter!

Cheers,

2dresq

Nice shield...totally original...Check out this stone mint Luftwaffe Cupal shield. The burnishing and the finish on these shields when produced were superb.

Peter

Hello!

Amazing Narvik.Thanks for sharing with us. :beer:

All the best

Nesredep

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, great thread!

This ones in the mail, looks almost identical to the zincer in post 71, but with a little more salty flavour! The "4" plainly gives it away with the long curved top on the four. I don't know but I just like these period worn corroded pieces more than the unissued/unworn "mint" versions out there. Any agreement or disagreement out there? Sorry about the pics, I will post my own scans when it arrives (hopefully in a couple days) to add to this great thread!

Later,

Pat

Edited by Avitas

Avitas,

That one there you posted was from Barry Turk @ www.emedals.ca and it's a good one :cheers:

He is a great guy. His staff is easy to work with and they have some nice items.

I purchased my entire shield collection from Barry.

My recommendation would be to do the vasaline treatment to your shield about every 6 months to help keep the corrosion and zinc pest from setting in further.

Congrats on your shield.

Regards,

2dresq

Justin G.

Hello, great thread!

This ones in the mail, looks almost identical to the zincer in post 71, but with a little more salty flavour! The "4" plainly gives it away with the long curved top on the four. I don't know but I just like these period worn corroded pieces more than the unissued/unworn "mint" versions out there. Any agreement or disagreement out there? Sorry about the pics, I will post my own scans when it arrives (hopefully in a couple days) to add to this great thread!

Later,

Pat

Hello!

Glad you like the thread. :beer:

All the best

Nesredep

Avitas,

That one there you posted was from Barry Turk @ www.emedals.ca and it's a good one :cheers:

He is a great guy. His staff is easy to work with and they have some nice items.

I purchased my entire shield collection from Barry.

My recommendation would be to do the vasaline treatment to your shield about every 6 months to help keep the corrosion and zinc pest from setting in further.

Congrats on your shield.

Regards,

2dresq

Justin G.

Thanks Justin and yes Barry is a great guy and has some amazing stuff that I'll never be able to afford! I've bought a few items off him and have been very satisfied. So for the vasoline treatment do you just rub a small amount of it on the corroded parts then? I have never done this so any tips are welcome.

Later,

Pat

The Vaseline treatment:

Apply a thin layer of vasaline to the affected area of the badge or an equal layer over the entire award. Let this sit for 24 hours. I was initially told to apply with a q-tip, however, I modified this and used an acid free touch up brush, to avoid any possible lint. The Vaseline treatment's main idea is to create a barrier from the outside air and moisture to help reduce the oxydation process.

There are several schools of thought: The Vaseline treatment is believed to trap the damage below and potentially allow the oxidizer to continue to deteriorate.

As the absence of an oxidant (in this case oxygen) does not allow for the formation of a stable oxide film which serves to protect the surface from corrosion. This will accelerate and promote additional corrosion if the potential exists, you could be doing more damage.

Coming at this from the positive side: the existing oxygen is consumed by the chemical reaction (oxidation of the zinc) which cannot be replenished due to the non-polar hydrocarbon barrier, the corrosion should cease as no more oxygen and moisture can contact the zinc. it should and in my limited use, seems to prevent long term corrosion two fold, by displacing moisture, and by preventing additional moisture and oxygen from entering the equation.

I have done this zinc treatment to my Cholm and my Narvik. I have seen some good results.

The thing that you have to realize is that zinc pest is like a cancer, you will never be able to get rid of it. The damage is done. What the petrolium jelly can do is help slow this process down.

I still do the vaseline treatment to these badges and I am very happy.

Regards,

2dresq

Thanks for the detailed info! On a related note, would it be better to store this in a sealed airtight baggie or a loose box then? One would assume an airtight bag would be the best choice to minimize oxygen exposure. Anyways, here is the best scan I could come up with with my crappy new HP scanner (it can't manage to focus anything unless it is 100% flat!, unlike my old Agfa) of the Narvik shield (came in today) and a couple better pics of the details. Any ideas on a maker?

Thanks again for all the help, I will look more into the vasoline idea.

Pat

I have an mini dehumidifier which I have in the back behind my display box which I have to recharge every 2.5 weeks on average.

It all depends on how you wish to store and display them.

Best of luck.

Regards,

2dresq

• 1 month later...