News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Diplomat and Zahlmeister Friedrich Maisel

uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiii........................ that`s a breast full!!!! Now I am not the master in european awards.... BUT what I can see is a turkish Medjidii, a spanish Isabella, France, Belgium, Luxembourg...... but nothing german???!!!!

There appears to be a Nassau Adolph?s Order knight?s cross in there, right in the middle. I believe that this order became obsolete in 1866 which might help in dating this picture and establishing the (approx.) age of it?s subject.

Taking a shot at it, and assuming that awards to this order ceased in 1866, I would estimate a recipient of this award to have been born not much later than 1840. Therefore, if were are trying to establish service in WWI, any recipient of an award to this order would have to have been around seventy-five when the war started. Not impossible, Field Marshal von Haeseler was seventy-eight, but rare.

Regards,

Wild Card

I'd say these are two pictures, with two different persons on it. The man with the many medals is for sure not a German but a French or BeNeLux.

There appears to be a Nassau Adolph?s Order knight?s cross in there, right in the middle. I believe that this order became obsolete in 1866 which might help in dating this picture.

No, this does not help. If I remember correctly, he still awarded it in Luxemburg ...

More helpfull is the French Legion of Honour which is post 1870 modell, and even more helpfull the Belgium Jubilee medal (sorry, cannot remember for what) on the right of the Turkish order. This one is from about 1905, so the picture dates most likely 1905 to, lets say 1910 era ...

PS: Or(!):

it is taken in World War I, and he does not wear enemy's awards any more - nothing from Germany or Austria?!

PPS:

Stupid idea, he still wears the Ottoman award. Makes the picture 1905 to 1914.

PPPS: :wacky:

Fopund the Belgian medal here, it is from 1905.

Edited by saschaw

Hello Saschaw,

You are indeed correct - this order did continue to be issued by Luxembourg after 1866. :blush:

Thank you for pointing it out.

Back to the original question. I am inclined to agree that the gentleman in post #4 is not the same man we see in post #5. Beyond that, is there anyone out there who can confirm that the uniform seen in post #4 is of the Prussian diplomatic corps?

Thanks again Saschaw. :cheers:

Regards,

Wild Card

Hello everyone:

Yes the Order of Adolph of Nassau was awarded well beyond 1866. At some point beyond 1866 a knight's badge with a crown was added to the Order also, so any of them with a crown is definately post-1866. Thus, any badges without a crown could have been awarded by Nassau or Luxembourg until at least 1909. I am not certain when all awards ceased. Is there anyone out there with the book by Schoos (sp?) who can tell us?

The first fellow does look like a diplomatic-corps member.

It seems to me that they are not the same individuals, but have the same mustache! :)

Nice photos none-the-less!

Thank you for sharing them.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

I would suppose that he's belgian as he wears the leopold commemorative medal...

If I'm correct, this medal was only awarded to belgians, not foreigners.

Besides that, he appears also to wear a long service medal.

Thus this makes Leopold I knight, Long service medal, commemorative medal Leopold I.

I really thinks that he's actually Belgian.

Kind regards,

Jacky

This picture is quite funny, if you can translate the name of the sender, you might find out who the man on the front is...

As the receipment of the card is a zahlmeister, not necessarily the man on the front.