News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of The Great Patriotic War Award Books

Dear Vic,

great set :cheers: .

You should research them, because the comrade should have got some other decorations of the GPW before.

If he only got only the OPW 2cl in 1967 (as a catch-up) and nothing more for his service in the GPW, then it is highly unusual, that he received a OPW 1cl in 1985 :jumping: .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Guest Rick Research

That's GOT to be a disabled war invalid set. It would be very interesting to get the research done for the OPW2-- have you got the Orders or just the paperwork?

That's GOT to be a disabled war invalid set. It would be very interesting to get the research done for the OPW2-- have you got the Orders or just the paperwork?

Dear Rick,

o.k., if it's one of the "disabled-sets", why didn't he get another OPW 2cl in 1985 :unsure: ?

Our comrade got in 1985 an OPW 1cl ...

Christian

o.k., if it's one of the "disabled-sets", why didn't he get another OPW 2cl in 1985 :unsure: ?

He received the OGPW1 in 1985 because he was a wounded invalid. That was the award that the invalid soliders were supposed to receive in 1985 (though it didn't always happen).

If you see a late Red Star, Glory 3rd or OGPW2 and a 1985 OGPW1, you can be almost 99% ensured that the person was wounded during WW2. The catch-up award was one for wounds, and the OGPW1 was awarded by Ukaz for invalid veterans.

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Disabled veteran 1985 OPW1 groups:

I cannot read the stamps on those medal cards, or what is on the back cover-- too small and far away. I think he may have lived in the city of Gomel, if I am reading one of those jubilees correctly.

He received the OGPW1 in 1985 because he was a wounded invalid. That was the award that the invalid soliders were supposed to receive in 1985 (though it didn't always happen).

If you see a late Red Star, Glory 3rd or OGPW2 and a 1985 OGPW1, you can be almost 99% ensured that the person was wounded during WW2. The catch-up award was one for wounds, and the OGPW1 was awarded by Ukaz for invalid veterans.

Dave

Dear Dave,

many thanks for your expertise :cheers: .

I actually didn't know, that invalid veterans got "automatically" an OGPW 1cl in 1985 :blush: .

Christian

Guest Rick Research

Those are all CZECH-- 3 War Crosses, 2 Valor Medals, 1944 Dukla Pass campaign medal, and WW2 commemoraative medal.

Is it worth researching document only groups :unsure:

That's a question only you can answer. If you must know about a document group and are willing to shell out $55+ to research it, knowing full well that you'll probably not get that out of 95% of groups, that's up to you. I have researched several document-only groups to HSUs and famous generals, but that's because the research added more to the story. For example, I researched Koldunov's group as even without the Lenin Prize, it's still worth a lot of money and the research really adds to the history of it.

Dave

Nice group, and he's a Belarusian too! (He does live in Gomel).

The 45-95 award document is relatively rare in that it has the 'pahonia' emblem on the stamp instead of the current Belarusian state emblem as adopted following the 1995 referendum.Most have the more Soviet stamp!

Edited by Belaruski

That's a question only you can answer. If you must know about a document group and are willing to shell out $55+ to research it, knowing full well that you'll probably not get that out of 95% of groups, that's up to you. I have researched several document-only groups to HSUs and famous generals, but that's because the research added more to the story. For example, I researched Koldunov's group as even without the Lenin Prize, it's still worth a lot of money and the research really adds to the history of it.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I think this one may be an intresting research project and I may not get the money back but it would be nice to see a catch up award card :jumping:

Order of Victory

Nice group, and he's a Belarusian too! (He does live in Gomel).

The 45-95 award document is relatively rare in that it has the 'pahonia' emblem on the stamp instead of the current Belarusian state emblem as adopted following the 1995 referendum.Most have the more Soviet stamp!

Wow this group keeps geting better :jumping:

Thanks Belaruski for the info :cheers:

I am deffinitly going to get researched :D

Order of Victory

Here in Georgia it was not uncommon for an OPW-2 winner to receive a Chernenko OPW-1 if he had risen in prominence in the party or elsewhere. That's merely an alternate to the invalid award possibility, of course. I can't speak for elsewhere.

Chuck