News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Don't be so touchy giorgio - I was referring to the fake badge that was posted by Scott. (Fishing sinker, ha ha, oh well :speechless: ) An "MFP" is not found on any Luftwaffe badge and would be a new marking for me on anything Third Reich. Hope this a reasonable answer. Silly me for trying to have a laugh.....

ERIC

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Having seen the group that this badge came with, knowing the dealer that recently sold said group it wouldn?t surprise me to find out that this was indeed a rare maker.

Stijn, I would be interested to know if any of your contacts have come across this maker, and if any veterans have memories of being awarded such a badge.

:cheers:

Hello John,

Thank you for the reply, well i actually believe in this badge as being original i can say that it is a very rare piece for sure.

My reasons why i do believe this to be a original?

* i have come across already one such badge in a untoucehd glider legacy (and that was with this very person: Franz Stangl => i never mentioned it untill this day (i was able to add the complete grouping towards the collection :rolleyes: ) .

* I have a picture (see attachement) where Fw. Thielmann is what i believe is wearing such a badge. The badge he is wearing does clearely show the curvature of the eagle's wings, this badge as shown could in no means be a cloth badge as the cut-out swastika would not be visible as in this picture (even iff it is not of the best quality).

* Posen, this city was also the place where the training unit (Erg.Gr.(S) 2) was based, Stangl was trained at this school, Thielmann was a teatcher over there for some time.

* It is known that such different (non award - private) purchase pieces do exist, for example the large eagle glider pilots badge.

* Several glider pilots who where at Posen at some point did confirm that private pieces where obtained in the city.

* The pin setup of this type of badge is the very same as found on the large eagle glider pilots badge wich i have in my possesion and obtained directly by me from the veteran a few years back. Therefore the producer of the large eagle glide ris the same as the one who made this type of badge.

* The large eagle glider pilots badge was produced and obtained in Posen by glider pilots (i have several first hand accounts, intervieuws with gldier pilots about this evry subject)

Based upon these facts i say it is original without a doubt.

My conclusion is very simple, this is a original and even harder to find then the large eagle. Who is behind the maker MFP - Posen? At this point no 100 % evidence can be given. That is a unclear piece at this point of time but i am convinced that research will bring this also into light once upon a time.

Cordial greetings,

Stijn, forgive me, but the badge I posted and the badge in your photo are clearly different. For starters, look at the gap between the tail and wing in the photo; the badge I posted does not have the gap.

Scott

Hello Scott,

No need to forgive anyone, we are all just collectors and historians alike ;-)

Indeed a good observation on the gap, i will try iff i can get pictures of this badge at different angels. I however believe in this very badge as being genuine - the zink etc .. has the right finish, etc ....

I think that still a few pieces can be (re)discovered. The badge as you show has the very same pintype as the large egale etc ... and with that the Posen connection etc ....

Once the badge arrives i will make scans of it and post them. Now iff i only would be able to track that Photoalbum from F.Stangl - then this would eb solved immediatly. The same would be true iff i manage to find the album of Thielmann. Well my quest is still not at an end but this one is only just waiting to be proven with clear wartime pictures.

Here is a pictureof a cloth badge in worn => look at the colour sheme of the feathers, etc .... - also defenatly not such one that Thielmann is wearing.

Cordial greetings,

Hello Scott,

Indeed, and there does exist more clear photographic of cloth badges in wear => my upcomming book wil show a bit of it :rolleyes:

I also agree that we must keep a open mind, be critical but keep the mind open. Everything is just good on this badge - the only thing that does fail at this point is a clear picture of this very badge in wear / but i am confident ==> that will pop up within time :cheeky:

And who does hide behind the MFP - POSEN maker mark? One candidate is the company :

Metalwaren Fabrik Jablonski - Posen

But that is just a guess.

Cordial greetings,

Hello Guys,

Well, i have been browsing through all my glider pictures again and finally tonight i was succesfull => i think a 'Eureka' was certainly on its place. After revieuwing the Thielmann picture over and over again the wreath does indeed not seem to be a match but then i did find this picture in the collection :speechless1:

Please find enclosed a picture of unknown glider pilot who is wearing .... (i once tought that he was wearing the large eagle but that is wrong, the form of the wreath does not match => but compare towards the shown badge with curved wings)

Feel free to comment

Hello,

And a closer look at the blurry picture (i think we have a match :jumping: )

Cordial greetings,

I beg to differ. I personally do not see a match at all. The gap at the top of the wreath put aside, the area between the rear talons/tail feathers and wreath is noticeably a different width. The photo of the Glider Pilots badge in wear appears to have a solid swastika detail compared to an open arm style on the "MFP" version. Now the kicker - the "MFP" version has a much larger, I'll say 'humped', version of the right wing (as you are looking at it) than the example in the photograph. The area between the top of the eagles head and upper wing is also greater on the "MFP" version, this due to the 'humped' wing. I've highlighted the areas in the following comparison pic.

ERIC