News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian WW2 ribbon bar

This is the first Hungarian ribbon bar in my collection. Have I got the ribbons correct?

1) WW1 commem medal? Are those "things" two repeat clasps?

2) Fire Cross

3) Long Service Decoration

4) Transsylvanian Medal

Regards

Chris

File5249a.jpg

Edited by webr55

Hallo webr55 :cheers:

Slightly confused about the last ribbon, if the Transylvanian Medal then it had a blue ribbon, the re-occupation of areas near & over the Czechaslovakian border, I believe had a red & blue ribbon.

Hungarian Transylvania Medal with the image of Matthis Corwin. (often found in Zink,) to the rear, a representation of the Siebenburgen (7 Cities) of Transylvania.

Kevin in Deva, Translvania. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Thanks!

According to Lukas Gaszewski (here), red-blue is for Transsylvania 1938, Blue for Upper Hungary 1940, so maybe he's got them the wrong way round.

Hallo webr55 :cheers:

I have only seen the Transylvanian one on the pale blue ribbon, both on the web, and here in Transylvania, its the way I got mine, these medals came in a series of 3, somewhat equavalent to the German Flower War medals as all had to do with annexing "lost" territory from after WW1.

Here is the third in the series.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

post-950-1180204953.jpeg

Hungarian Transylvania Medal with the image of Matthis Corwin. (often found in Zink,) to the rear, a representation of the Siebenburgen (7 Cities) of Transylvania.

On the reverse is the coat-of-arms of Transylvania. It appears in the same form in Romania's coat-of-arms in the lower-left (heraldic) quarter.

330px-Romania_Coat_of_Arms.svg.png

Thanks!

According to Lukas Gaszewski (here), red-blue is for Transsylvania 1938, Blue for Upper Hungary 1940, so maybe he's got them the wrong way round.

Chris, Hungary occupied Northern Transylvania in 1940, not in 1938.

Chris, Hungary occupied Northern Transylvania in 1940, not in 1938.

Ah yes, of course! :speechless::speechless: So my bar has the Upper Hungary 1940 ribbon. Thanks!

Anybody else have Hungarian WW2 ribbon bars to compare?

Hi guys -

Something is fishy about this one -

1) Fire Cross with two wound stripes (no problems there)

2) Then it should be a WW1 Commemorative Medal - But somehow a repeat Fire Cross has been added to it. This device should be between the two wound strips indicating that he got a 1941 Fire Cross and then a 1942 / 43 Fire Cross..

3) Long Service

4) Return of Upper Hungary or the First Vienna Award of 1938.

Though the device is wrong and not in the right place (perhaps embellished?) This is a great little bar - the owner was a WW1 veteran, probably conscripted and then later during the war inter war years served his time enough to get the First Vienna Awrd medal and his long service under the Horthy regime. Then he probably mustered out (missing the 1940, and the 1941 medals) and went into the reserves. When the war started against Russia he was called up again and served at the front during two years at least and got wounded twice.

And for those of you who dont know the best way to start a bar brawl between Hungarians and Romanians is to have a friendly conversation over the definition of 'Lost' and 'Stolen' when it comes to Transylvania :cheeky:

Edited by hunyadi

Hi Chris -

really hard to say for sure. probably a senior NCO or even a warrant officer (known as a 3rd Lieutenant in Hungarian 'Zaszlo' (sp?)). He did his time thats for sure and then got out, only to be drawn back in.