News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Gents,

This is probably a silly question, but I was wondering if the Krieger-Verdienstmedaille was ever awarded on the White/Black/White non combatants ribbon?

And whilst I have your attention what does the Krieger-Verdienstmedaille equate to in terms of say the EK 1 or EK 2. I know that the medal was only issued to foreign troops, but I have yet to see a photograph of someone wearing both the EK and Krieger-Verdienstmedaille, hence my reason for asking.

Regards,

Ian

Guest Rick Research

Excellent question. :cheers: According to regulations, there doesn't seem to have been any reason why this could NOT have been awarded on the "white-black" ribbon.

But even the "black-white" ones are so incredibly rare that to find a period image of the noncombatant version being worn would be astonishing.

Unfortunately, I have found NO actual award numbers for this medal at all in Eric Ludvigsen's life work on Prussian awards. Apparently as bestowals only on foreigners, they were not gazetted in the annual Orders Lists. :(

It seems to have equated roughly to an Iron Cross 2nd Class. The ONLY photo I have ever seen of one being worn is from the 1930s of an Austrian Gendarmerie Meister who got his, apparently, in the early days of WW1 when the Iron Cross had not been cleared for award to non-German troops:

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my question wasn't that silly after all :cheers:

The photo you added is only the second one I have seen of the krieger-verdienstmedaille being worn. Both, no suprisly enough, being worn by former Austro-Hungarian soldiers/gendarmerie.

My fasination with the krieger-verdienstmedaille continues! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Ian

But even the "black-white" ones are so incredibly rare that to find a period image of the noncombatant version being worn would be astonishing.

Would it?! Gentlemen, here you are - a W?rttemberger:

A little addition:

The Kriegerverdienst-Medal was given to german allies through the whole war. Austrian Soldiers and NCO's normally got only the Kriegerverdiesntmedal and NOT an IC. With one exclusion. Some austrian units served directly under german command. In this case a few IC2nd Class were also given to austrian soldiers and NC's. Normally only officers and equal ranks could get an IC.

7123 Kriegerverdienstmedaillien, 7478 EK 2 und 341 EK 1 were given to Austrians during WWI. (All numbers based on an article by J?rg C. Steiner)

regards

haynau

Guest Rick Research

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

1) ANY clue when that W?rttemberg Sergeant's photo was taken? That uniform went out in what, about 1894? No campaign medal.... Ooooooooooooooooooo. Boggle boggle boggle!

2) Equally amazed and delighted with the WW1 award figures for Austrians. I had NO idea so MANY KVMs were handed out-- or so FEW Iron Crosses!

Saschaw, that picture fantastic! :jumping: I hope that some of our resident gurus can give us some information regarding the other details.

Meanwhile, we have have black ribbons with white stripes :rolleyes: ... we have white ribbons with black stripes :rolleyes: ... so how about a white ribbon with orange stripes? ;)

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

1) ANY clue when that W?rttemberg Sergeant's photo was taken? That uniform went out in what, about 1894? No campaign medal.... Ooooooooooooooooooo. Boggle boggle boggle!

No Centenarmedaille and the picture seems to be an old one from about (hard to tell for me) 1890-1910 era, so without Centenar most likely short before 1897. Think this has to go. Pre 1913 it is anyway with the long service award ...

Sascha, whats the Long-Service clasp, he wears?

AWESOME photo!!!! :jumping:

This is W?rttemberg, long service award 3rd class.

I own a IC 1st Class hallmarked german 950. The clue: The Cross ist twice hallmarked with an austrian import-hallmark used for small silverware imported to AH. I never realised how rare this cross must be, depending on the numbers of IC given to Austrians shown above.

I don't know why there is an austrian hallmark on the cross. maybe it was imported by an austrian jeweller for a costumer? Who knows? Or ist was the IC of a german officer doing service at the austrian staff. funny anyway.

Maybe somebody has another theory about this unique IC?

I'am sure the market will never pay for that kind of rarity, therefore i will keep it.

I showed the cross once, but will do it again on this occasion. i hope you don't mind

haynau

Edited by haynau