News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Non-Portable Awards

Gents,

All countries present awards that are meant to be displayed and not pinned onto clothing. The DDR was no exception and probably produced more non-portable awards than most. I am going to post two that I picked up on a trip to Berlin last fall. I leave for another trip to Berlin tomorrow and that has prompted me to post these awards in the hopes that I will find some more goodies to post!

Regards,

Gordon

The first award is for 30 years service in the MdI. The case closed.

• 5 months later...

Umberto,

Unfortunately, I do not have any award documents for these non-portable awards. Be nice if I did. I have some more of this type of award that I will post later today. Had them for a while and just too many projects to get at the bag of awards.

Red Cross,

Sure they could go here. Be nice to see them in the Red Cross medals thread as well though. They would have more viewers ther.

Regards,

Gordon

Got it a short while back from Paul Schmitt. The pics are his and used with his permission. Many thanks Paul! Note it has a crack which Paul believes happened due to the size and weight of the medal when it was struck. Still a nice piece though and goes well with the rest of my DDR collection. Wish I had the case for it... if it was originally issued in one.

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

• 2 weeks later...

Time to add some more of my non-portable awards to this thread. The first things I will post are actually commemorative items rather than awards. I've had a bag of them sitting in my closet waiting to be inventoried for some time now and that hasn't happened so perhaps if I post pictures of them it will prod me into inventory action! Since there numerous of these things in the "bag" I'll post them in lots that are associated. First up is Kampfgruppe stuff.

This size item is often refered to as a "coin" because of its size and this particular one is even packaged like a collector coin. It celebrates 25 years of the KG. 1953 TO 1978 and was produced by a Kampfgruppe in a VEB in Rostock. Here is side one-

Edited by Gordon Craig