News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Feldspange / ribbon bar of a medical Officer

Dear forumites,

A new addition to my collection: a 7 place ribbon bar of a medical officer.

1) Preussen, Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, 1914

2) S?chsiche Herzogt?mer ab 1826, SEHO, RK 1. Klasse mit Schwertern

3) Deutsches Reich 1933-45, Ehrenkreuz f. Frontk?mpfer (Hindenburg cross)

4) Deutsches Reich 1871-1918, S?dwestafrika-Denkm?nze

5) Preussen, Rote Kreuz Medaille

6) Ehrenzeichen des deutschen Roten Kreuzes

7) Preussen, Centenarmedaille

On the back of the ribbon bar there is a name written on it: could that be the owner's name? The first name looks like beginning with B/R/F/H and ending by rd/nd or ch (so it could be Bernhard, Bernd, Richard, Friedrich or even Heinrich). The surname looks almost surely like Kaiser.

Anyone could help me??? Any comments??

I thank you in advance for your most appreciated inputs.

Ciao,

Claudio

Guest Rick Research

That's "Dr Paul Kayser." (Kryptonite has NO effect on me.)

Claudio-- bells are ringing... his name has come up before, somewhere, sometime.

HSH3aX from Coburg on 19 July 1916 as Stabsarzt on the staff of the German Medical Mission to Bulgaria (Sanit?ts Mission Bulgarien).

That is a GODET bar-- the hinge, pin, and catch are distinctive. Red backing rather thaan their trademark garay makes me think El Cheapo swapped around ribbons. He should have been the holder of an XXV Years Service Cross-- possibly replaced by that Hindenburg X.

maybe Glenn can sort out WHICH Dr. Kayser he was, since there are severaal.

But I've got "born 1878" pencilled in from someplace-- and can't remmeber where or why.

Impressive Rick...

You dectected immediately that it's a Godet feldspange, also if the backing has been changed... its big brother (Ordensspange) is a GODET as well...

Is there a way to confirm the other decorations, at least the SW-Denkm?nze or the Ehrenkreuz des deutschen Roten Kreuzes?

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Guest Rick Research

He liked his awards in different places! :jumping:

I have NO idea where I got his 1878 birth year from and assume it has to be Glenn's medical officer sources.

But WHY had I asked, and when? :o

Was this discussed someplace else years ago?

He's not in the 1908/09 Orders Almanac OR in the 1935 "Who's Who?"

And WHICH Stabsarzt Dr. Kayser WAS he-- that he does NOT have the XXV Years Service Cross?

Very nice set-- was that one of George's? I have so MUCH data just noted that if I made footnotes of the source of all the notes, I'd be covered in scribbles and couldn't find (or read my own handwriting) for anything! :speechless1:

Hi Rick,

No, as far as I know this bar wasn't in Seymour collection, since I got it not from Thies but from another auction hause. I don't recall to have it seen before, either.

Ciao,

Claudio

Claudio, Rick,

Paul Kayser, born 8 May 1878 in Finsterhagen, Gotha as the son of Oberf?rster Albert Kayser. Attended the Kaiser Wilhelms Akademie from 30 Marcch 1897 to 1 October 1901 when he was assigned to Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Louis Ferdinand von Preu?en (2. Magdeburg.) Nr. 27 on promotion to Unterarzt. Doctorate on 17 February 1903 and commissioned as an Assistenzarzt on 19 May 1903 (19.5.03 B) on transfer to Feldartillerie-Regiment Prinz-Regiment Luitpold von Bayern (Magdeburg.) Nr. 4. Promoted to Oberarzt on 18 July 1905 (18.7.05 E2e) he was transfered to the Sanit?tsamt of the IV. Armeekorps on 21 July 1906 until 18 May 1908 when he was assigned to 8. Th?ring. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 153 at Altenburg. Shortly after on 1 June 1908 he was attached to the 1st Surgery Department of the General Hospital in Hamburg-Eppendorf. Promoted to Stabsarzt (ohne Patent) on 27 January 1911 he was assigned as the battalion medical officer of II./Infanterie-Regiment Freiherr Hiller von Gaertringen (4. Pos.) Nr. 59 where he received a Patent of 21.2.11 C2c the following month. His last pre-war assignment was as an instructor at the Kaiser Wilhelms Akademie to which he was assigned on 18 February 1913. He retired as an Oberstabsarzt.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the details about Oberstabsarzt Kayser! ;)

Is he however the real owner of these bars? Apparently he was in the army without any interruptions from 1897 til the end of WWI (1918 at earliest, maybe he was discharged from duty a bit later). Is it really possible that he didn't get the DA-XXV? I thought that service during the war counted double... It would be also great to know how he got the SW-Denkm?nze and in which capacity.

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio