News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Why the Order of October Revolution got a 5th rivet...

That's true :P .

Also the gold-wash of the basic star, which always appears to be silver, had been far too thin.

So, I haver never seen an October Revolution with a fully preserved gold-wash :( .

I have a rather late OR s/n. 86.619 in my collection, which shows small traces of the orginal gold-wash.

The decline of Soviet Economy is also represented in the manufacture (not the design!) of the OR ;) .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

• 4 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

About the gold wash :

The Order of the October Revolution was gold plated everywhere (including the rays of the star) but the pentagon with the Aurora cruiser.

Hence, we often see this Order with traces of gold paint around the flag. I have one like this...

You will find interesting the attached picture.

It is from the book : "State Awards of the USSR", published by "Izvestia", Moscow 1987 (at the Soviet time!)

Interesting enough is that this book has been made by the Department of State Awards of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet. All photos in the book (1987 !!!! ) are of real awards.

On the pic, you can clearly see that :

1. The Order is not entirely gold plated. See the flag with traces of gold paint.

2. the gold plating on the rays of the star is very thin, as it seems already to disappear on the right part of the order.

Ch.

Dear Christophe,

many thanks for the scans :cheers: .

I also have the (large edtion) of the Izvestia-book in my library, which shows the gold wash :D .

My question:

Why had been the quality of manufacture - gold wash & the missing 5th rivet at the beginning - so poor of that important order :unsure::unsure: ?

Any ideas ?????

Best regards :beer:

Christian