News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Red Star, Nr. 3593277

I thought to post the above-mentioned Order of the Red Star, its documentation, and as much as I have been able to translate. It appears the General received three Orders of the Red Star, #888704 in 1944, #3089468 in 1953, and finally #3593277 in 1968, which is currently in my collection. I am looking for the other two Orders of the Red Star, so if anyone has any leads, I would be most appreciative.

There are two "Order" cards, and here is the first, and obviously the oldest.

General Ovadovsky was awarded the Order of the Red Star #3593277 in 1968 while living in Tbilisi, now Georgia, and serving as Vice Commander of rocket (missle) forces and artillery of Zakavkazsky (area in the south of the U.S.S.R. near the Caucasus) Military Region.

He was awarded the Order of The Red Star #3089468 in 1953 while living in Ananiev (22 Pushkinskaya Street, Ananiev, Odessa Region) and serving as Commander of the division of the 585th artillery Regiment of the 51st Sniper Brigade.

During the Great Patriotic War he was in the active army and took part in liberating West Ukraine (September/October, 1939), Stalingrad, the 2nd and 3rd Ukranian "Fronts", June 22nd, 1941 until May 9, 1945. He was injured in 1941 and had a concussion in 1943 in Stalingrad.

September 4, 1939 - Lieutenant

November 15, 1941 - Senior Lieutenant

December 12, 1942 - Captain

April 16, 1943 - Major

December 23, 1944 - Lieutenant Colonel

April 30, 1953 - Colonel (nine years!)

May 7, 1960 - Major General (thirteen years!)

Other awards included the following:

Order of the Red Banner - 1942

Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd Class - 1944

Order of the Patriotic War, 1st Class - 1945

Order of the Red Star - 1944 (#888704)

Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad - 1942

Medal for Victory over Germany - 1945

For the Capture of Budapest - 1945

Medal for Combat Service - 1947

For the Liberation of Bulgaria - 1947

Order of the Red Star - 1953 (#3089468)

Order of the Red Star - 1968 (#3593277)

Here is the Citation for the last Red Star. . .

Thank you for reading, and comments are most welcome!

Thank you David Schwind for giving me the opportunity to add this Order of the Red Star and supporting documentation to my collection!

Edited by Bill Garvy

Talk about great research!! Maybe you could find one of each:

Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad - 1942

Medal for Victory over Germany - 1945

For the Capture of Budapest - 1945

Medal for Combat Service - 1947

For the Liberation of Bulgaria - 1947

and make a sort of display!

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Was that all from nothing but the loose Red Star, or did you have any award documents for his medals with clues about rank? If that was a wild gamble on research, man did you strike GOLD for results!!!!! :jumping::cheers:

It looks like he retired in 1970 from the bottom of his service record, and there is some sort of stamp dated 1998, but I can't read the small scan of that area.