News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

American Civil War

Hi Guys,

Anyone out there into the American Civil War?

I was surfing the net, and discovered that 3 guys with my surname served during the war, all with New York Regiments, I was wondering is it possible to research them, or have the records long since been lost.

Caldecott, Chas. H.

Union

Infantry

159th Regiment, New York Infantry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caldecott, Frederick

Union

Cavalry

13th Regiment, New York Cavalry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caldecott, Joseph

Union

Cavalry

5th Regiment, New York Cavalry

Gordon.

Civil War Union veterans records are researchable.

For New Yorkers, you can go here:

NYS Civil War Soldier Database: http://iarchives.nysed.gov/CivilWarWeb/search.jsp

In general, there is the National Park Service's Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System: http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm

The records of service cards are maintained at the National Archives. There would probably be a fee to get a copy. They don't actually have a lot of information though - dates mustered in and out, rank.

Charles was a sergeant, while Frederick and Joseph were privates, so regimental histories might not have much additional information.

From the NY Military Museum and Veterans Research Center:

159th NY Infantry Regiment during the Civil War: http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghi...59thInfMain.htm

13th NY Cavalry Regiment during the Civil War

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghi...13thCavMain.htm

5th NY Cavalry Regiment during the Civil War

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghi.../5thCavMain.htm

Cheers Dave, I`ll give those sites a bash. Thanks very much. I don`t think for one minute, that I`ll be related to any of these Caldecott`s, but it was interesting to see the family name had taken part none the less, and on the winning side.. :rolleyes: Damn rebels... :cheeky:

Cheers Dave, I`ll give those sites a bash. Thanks very much. I don`t think for one minute, that I`ll be related to any of these Caldecott`s, but it was interesting to see the family name had taken part none the less, and on the winning side.. :rolleyes: Damn rebels... :cheeky:

My only connection to New York before moving here for work is that my great-great-grandfather is buried in the Confederate Cemetery near Elmira, New York, or as it was known to the POWs there, "Hellmira". He died of dysentery, one of thousands of prisoners to die there due to policies, some intentional and some merely negligent, of camp officials. He was a private in the 16th Georgia Infantry taken prisoner at the battle of Spottsylvania Courthouse.

Now, my great-great-great-great-grandfather served in the South Carolina militia in the 1770s, but those damned rebels were on the winning side over your guys. :rolleyes:

I have several ancestors who fought for their country during the War of Northern Aggression...

Henry Partlow Hartley

Corporal, Captain Burroughs? Company, Tennessee Light Artillery, CSA

John Washington Lawson

Private, Company F, 21st North Carolina Troops, CSA

Thomas Jefferson Hartley

Private, Company B, 6th Virginia Cavalry, CSA

Francis Compton Hartley

Private, Company E, 49th Virginia Infantry, CSA

Stephen S. Corvin

Private, Company A, 63rd Virginia Infantry, CSA

Gordon C. Corvin

Private, Company A, 63rd Virginia Infantry, CSA

....and like Dave Danner I also have one who was on the winning rebel side against Mother England..

Michael Krieger, Sr.

Private, Captain James Fenley's Company of Montgomery County, Virginia Militia

Hi Guys,

Thats really cool thanks. I think its great that people out there, are aware that they had relatives that fought in this war, and that they haven`t just been forgotten!!!!

:off topic: My family fought for the King, during the English Civil War.... :rolleyes:

Gordon.

Gordon,

I don't know it this might be a old "misspelling" of the family name, but there are a ton of Calicotts, Calicottes, Calicoates, Calicutts, etc. who served in the Confederate Army. Perhaps you have ties to both sides. :rolleyes:

:off topic: My family fought for the King, during the English Civil War.... :rolleyes:

Gordon.

Interestinlgy enough so did mine - however he was captured and given the choice of an English prison or the American colonies as a slave for 12 years with the express warning that he could never return. Being a slave was not so bad - at the end of his life he owned a huge plantation in what is now Maryland.

Guest Rick Research

"My family fought for the King, during the English Civil War...."

Not surprising for a New Englander, my New Haven Connecticut 10th great grandfather was on the other side, having chosen 1644 for a badly timed business trip back home. Thomas Trowbridge Sr (born Combe St. Nicholas, Somerset 8 February, 1597 O.S./1598 N.S.) was a Parliamentary Captain wounded (I have never been able to determine in what way) during the siege of Taunton back in Somerset, where he died, and was buried (I hope in that order) 7 February 1672 O.S./1673 N.S. having had his disability pension cancelled upon the Restoration so he never got back over here.

Amazingly enough, the ONLY war between the Pequot of 1637 and the Current Global Unpleasantness (1979-2XXX) my family has missed (so far, in the contemporary case) was 1861-1865.

I do not rate my 3rd great grandfather's "duty" in the Shelton, Connecticut home guard :cheeky: as "Civil War service." He was too old (b. 1815) and my 2nd ggf too young (b. 1854) -- both limits the South usually could not afford to let slip through their draft. My IRISH 3rd ggf by family repute WAS called up in Connecticut during the Civil War, but since I have no date of birth for him and there were over a dozen men with the lamentably stereotypical same name, have never been able to confirm which one he was, since he died before pensions were given out to old veterans.

I have read that New York State photographed every single recruit 1861-1865, apprently in anticipation of desertion wanted posters, or perhaps as the first glimmerings of scientific record keeping. Have not been able to verify this, since my family's brief forays as far west as the east bank of the Hudson never occurred in wartime (well, since the Dutch were running Nieuw Amsterdam).

Found 3 matching records(s)

Select a soldier... records 1 - 3

Caldecott, Augustus F ...(75th Infantry)

Caldecott, Charles H ...(159th Infantry)

Caldecott, Joseph ...(5th Cavalry)

Curious another site has given these three -

So what happened to..

Caldecott, Frederick

Union

Cavalry

13th Regiment, New York Cavalry

And where did Augustus come from?...... who are the 75th Infantry?

Have checked the nominal roll for the 75th, no Caldecott`s listed, because the names are different, we can`t even assume that he transfered from the 75th Infantry to the 13th Cavalry. I wonder did Austugus die during the war, hence no longer on the records? Is there any way of finding out?

I also find it interesting, that they are all in New York Regiments.

• 2 months later...

Another angle to try on these guys is to google the units and see whether there is a re-enacting group who portrays one or more of them. These groups often have a lot of info on the units and individuals they portray. I've done this for one unit and got nominal rolls (on line) of the whole unit. Worth a shot, anyway! Good luck.

Peter

Another angle to try on these guys is to google the units and see whether there is a re-enacting group who portrays one or more of them. These groups often have a lot of info on the units and individuals they portray. I've done this for one unit and got nominal rolls (on line) of the whole unit. Worth a shot, anyway! Good luck.

Peter

Cheers Peter, I`ll give that a try.

Cheers Barry, this is smashing. The Caldecott`s certainly took a whopping didn`t they. I wonder what happened to Augustus, imagines a guy with a long beard and one leg sitting on a porch come to mind.

Am I right in thinking that Francis was killed in action or died of wounds or disease, or some such fate?