News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scale Models

Ralph A

Finally - here is my little "scratch-built" job. I challenged myself to use as few materials as possible. Paste, scrap plastic...

White "paint" is "Liquid Paper." Black came from a flair tip pen and burnt, blackened matchsticks. "Rust" is real rust - I gathered it from a bit of iron pipe, and mixed it with water - dabbed it on. Some bits of twig and wire.

The track came from scrap from another, larger-scale model, that I "ripped" down the middle.

That's about it, for materials.

Very nice examples of World War II armor Ralph. I too used to dabble a bit in building diorama's many years ago, and can appreciate the attention required to detail. Never thought of using some of the materials that you have described here for effect though, such as drywall mud for zimmermit, or the use of real rust in order to create the same effect.

Frank

Hi Ralph,

I love the small scale stuff too. Congrats on the scratch building. Takes talent to really make things. I stick to kits, basically out of the box. Here's a 1/72 Panther I built about 15 years ago. I'm just getting back into modeling. Pretty much stick to armor.

Sorry, the lighting is horrible. sad.gif

• 3 weeks later...

What a great post!! I used to love making models as a teenager (absolute rubbish but i enjoyed it!). I simply don't have the time nowadays. I spotted a model Stug IV the other day and was seriously tempted....

It's very easy to simpy build a model, paint it etc, but it's the small 'added' details that make a good model count.... beer.gif

Amos.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ralph, pretty darn good. I used to scratch-build in HO scale but now the eyes are just not up to the task anymore.

Just for fun, for you non-modeling types.... did you know that in HO scale you have exact scale replicas of almost every pipe/fitting known to man-kind?? Yep from 1" right on up! All to scale!

Very nice work, Gordon! How do you keep them dusted, soft bristle brush or canned air?

Don't tell me your bride dusts them because that one won't sell... ;);)

Canned air is the only thing I'd trust on some of these. Large soft bristle job does the business on large surfaces like the U-Boat hull, but if you are talking a 1/350 piece with lots of etched brass railings, spindly masts and thin filament rigging, air's the only way to go.

The wife do it ???????? I learned long ago that wife in cleaning mode and very delicate model = total disaster. :o