News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I don't know if any more enlarging of the insignia would make any difference, but being that the patch is round, it might be pioneer's patch (crossed pick and shovel). The Seebataillon pioneers wore such a patch in China. Other than that, I can think of nothing official.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if any more enlarging of the insignia would make any difference, but being that the patch is round, it might be pioneer's patch (crossed pick and shovel). The Seebataillon pioneers wore such a patch in China. Other than that, I can think of nothing official.

Chip

Intersting idea, but the two cockades?as?well?as?the?usual?spike?helmets should exclude any navy unit.

A few round cloth police patches with Chinese signs can be seen on period pictures. Could it be one of them?

Gilles

Edited by Gilles

Sorry. I wasn't clear. I did not mean to infer that these were See Batl. troops, rather that these soldiers might have had a similar patch. Gilles, you may be on to something, but I have no knowledge of police speciality patches. I would like to know more if you have additional information.

Chip

Chip,

the patches were round with completly ununderstandable :speechless: Chinese signs. Some?period?pictures?were?sold?on?eBay,?I?'ll?have?a?look?if?I?happened?to?save?some?or,?as?usual,?these?are?just?memor

es?from?the?late?motherboard?of?my former?computer? :violent:

Gilles

Edited by Gilles

• 2 months later...

Here's a snap of some troops in China at the turn of the century or thereabouts...anyone know what the armshields are? Are they marksman's competition awards?

May be i know little bit history regarding to WHY one chinese old person in that pic, cause the germany troops has been occupied QING DAO(one of beauteful littoral city in china) in CHINA at 1871. actually from 1840,GB,france,germany,japan,Austria,italia,american and russia warring with QING EMPERY in china.CHINESE called"opium war" totally twice from 1840-1860. so it's not hard explain why you can saw a chinese in that pic.

:jumping:

Guest Rick Research

I still can't figure out what soldiers in PRUSSIAN headgear are doing here...

as members of the East Asian Expeditionary Force they should have had IMPERIAL eagle plates and the single cockade of Reichs troops, not the two as seen.

• 1 year later...

I still can't figure out what soldiers in PRUSSIAN headgear are doing here...

as members of the East Asian Expeditionary Force they should have had IMPERIAL eagle plates and the single cockade of Reichs troops, not the two as seen.

The original East Asian Expeditionary Corps of 1900 did wear state cockades, Wappen, belt buckles etc. Only from 9th Feb 1901 were new uniforms introduced with only Reichs insignia.

Yes, I agree with others here the badges may look very simialr to those worn by Police units in China such as the Tsingtao Chinese Police- http://www.seitengewehr.de/Chinesische_Pol..._Kiautschou.pdf

Cheers

Chris

Are these two wearing the patch as well?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2009/post-1062-1239734136.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2009/post-1062-1239734154.jpg

Perhaps better scans will shed some light.

Edited by Naxos

Thanks for the close up scans, Naxos. Now maybe those arm badges look different, it's still difficult to make them out for certain. Another curious feature, most of them seem to be wearing line eagles on their Pickelhauben, but one looks to have a Saxon Star. It's not clear enough to be certain. Saxon stars (and Bavarian, Wuerttemberg and Baden Wappen) were worn by the East Asian Infantry before Feb 1901, but by infantry from Saxon companies (or B, W and B), in which case this photo shows a group of soldiers from different units put together.

Another curious feature of the original photograph is that while most of the men are wearing 1893 Dark Blue Litwekas, one is wearing a 1900 Khaki Drillichrock. This is the only time I've seen the Pickelhaube worn with a khaki uniform, interesting...

Cheers

Chris