News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everyone.

I am trying to gather some information on a black wound badge in my collection. The reverse bears the number "32" along the helmet shell.

However, on the internet, there are two different spellings for the makers name:

a.) W. Hobachter, Wien

b.) W. Hobacher, Wien

What is the general consensus regarding the spelling of this makers name?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Henry

Hello Everyone.

I am trying to gather some information on a black wound badge in my collection. The reverse bears the number "32" along the helmet shell.

However, on the INTERNET, there are two different spellings for the makers name:

a.) W. Hobachter, Wien

b.) W. Hobacher, Wien

What is the general consensus regarding the spelling of this makers name?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Henry

I'm no expert or claim to be but the two lists of makers I have only lists W. Hobachter, Wien as using the 32 code on both lists I could not find a W. Hobacher, were you looking at two different sites? Maybe one of them misspelled the name?

Edited by armybrat43

Hey Brat.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was looking at a number of different lists - #32 was either Hobacher or Hobachter....the latter being the more prolific spelling. I was afraid there was a spelling error involved, but did not know which was the mis-spell.

If none else wishes to weigh in on this topic - Hobachter it is!

Thanks again :beer:

Henry

Hey Brat.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was looking at a number of different lists - #32 was either Hobacher or Hobachter....the latter being the more prolific spelling. I was afraid there was a spelling error involved, but did not know which was the mis-spell.

If none else wishes to weigh in on this topic - Hobachter it is!

Thanks again :beer:

Henry

No problem, and on both the lists I have Hobachter is the way the name is spelled.

In the list in The Iron Cross of 1939 by: Gordon Williamson, it is Hobacher. On two other sites it is Hobacher. One spelling is correct and one is incorrect. Now to settle on the correct spelling, :unsure: opinions.

--dj--Joe

I should state that I feel it is W. Hobacher, Wien.

--dj--Joe

Edited by --dj--Joe

Don, thanks for the pics of a 32 wound badge. Always helps having a visual reference. Being Probationary, the pics I have were too small to bother with.

So the debate rages on, gentlemen. Hobacher sounds correct to me, but that's a pretty flimsey thing to base an opinion on. Dj-Joe was kind enough to attach the official gmic maker list (above). That list also says Hobacher. Does someone have an original issue packet or envelope with the W.Hobacher/Hobacher name on the back? Perhaps an original early war listing of all the makers?

Henry