News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lee Enfield Rifle

bigjarofwasps

Hi Croppy, many thanks again. Yes I am rather confused as to why they won`t fit?? It is a mystery?? As for my bayonet, sorry but I`ve no way of doing it, I tried to scan them, but you just can`t see anything. I`m also certain that its a modern copy though. The wood just looks to new, and the blade is painted black?? Like a commando dagger?

I just picked one up today, is is made in 1943, but has what I think are israeli stamps on it.

along the top there are 4 thin grooves that run in the wood on each side... the other does not have it... anyone know what they are thee for? A different model?

The non grooved one has "DP" stamped on it. (for Drill Purposes)

I just picked one up today, is is made in 1943, but has what I think are israeli stamps on it.

along the top there are 4 thin grooves that run in the wood on each side... the other does not have it... anyone know what they are thee for? A different model?

The non grooved one has "DP" stamped on it. (for Drill Purposes)

Nice lookin' No4's there Chris, well done ;)

As for the grooves, now maybe I'm wrong, but I think there were unique to American and Canadian production, dont hold me on that, but I think thats it.

What is the reason for the slits? Well no one really knows for sure, the most plausable explanation seems to be that they were for some kind of grip, as thats where you'd hold the rifle when carrying it off your shoulder. Another reason I heard was to increase the surface area of the grip over what is a very warm part of the gun, thus preventing splitting of the timber. I think the grip one is more likely :D

It was one of them things that just disapeared after a while, they stopped making the grooved handguards, too much time wasted in making them.

Who manufactured the rifles you have? Savage, Longbranch, Maltby, ROF, BSA?

CroppyBoy

Hi,

no makers marks that I can recognise.

On the reciever of the grooved one is No4Mkk1 ROF (F) 8/43

Ah...ROF I guess... who is that?

Other one is the same but made in 45

Chris, ROF is 'Royal Ordanance Factory' and the (F) stands for Fazakerly, so it was produced by ROF at there Fazakerly plant.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that bit of info. I looked at mine and see I have a SMLE BSAco. Mk III made in 1918 with a Crown mark.

For some reason my rifle looks in older condition then some made before mine. Mine is really dark wood as if oiled obsessivly. Small nicks all over it but over all in great condition.

I paid 125.00 w/bayonet for 20 dollars additional back in the early 80's at a gun show. I think I got an excellent example.

The SMLE is my favorite battle rifle from WWI and was the first in my collection of WWI battle rifles I am building. I just now picked up a French Berthier and am awaiting delivery by mail.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that bit of info. I looked at mine and see I have a SMLE BSAco. Mk III made in 1918 with a Crown mark.

For some reason my rifle looks in older condition then some made before mine. Mine is really dark wood as if oiled obsessivly. Small nicks all over it but over all in great condition.

I paid 125.00 w/bayonet for 20 dollars additional back in the early 80's at a gun show. I think I got an excellent example.

The SMLE is my favorite battle rifle from WWI and was the first in my collection of WWI battle rifles I am building. I just now picked up a French Berthier and am awaiting delivery by mail.

mike

Sounds like you got a nice one Hun Helmet, one that has that 'been there done that look' from the sound of it. I wouldnt worry about the timber, it may have had a tough life and as you say, been oiled a bit too much, but thats not a bad thing, better than been dry and cracked :P .

Any chance of a pic or two? I always like to see an ol' Smelly :cheeky:

CroppyBoy1798

Sounds like you got a nice one Hun Helmet, one that has that 'been there done that look' from the sound of it. I wouldnt worry about the timber, it may have had a tough life and as you say, been oiled a bit too much, but thats not a bad thing, better than been dry and cracked :P .

Any chance of a pic or two? I always like to see an ol' Smelly :cheeky:

CroppyBoy1798

Sure but I can't post them. My files are too large and on a Mac I have no way to resize them or the time. mail me at WWisoldatGew98@aol.com and I will link you to my free site with pop ups or send an attachment. Your call.

mike

• 3 months later...
    Guest Travis

Hi my name is Travis and I am new at GMIC,

The other day I was at an police seizure action, and I purchased a 1917 Enfield Rifle .303. In all, it cost me about $150 US. It is in beautiful condition and still works as well as it did the day it was made. This particular rifle however, is very different than any Enfield I have ever seen. Unlike most Enfields, the stock does not run the full length of the barrel. The stock does appear to be original but it only covers about 2/3 of the barrel itself. In addition in has some strange marks on the side of the action. They are:

GR

B.S.A.C.

Sht. LE

III *

I have done a lot of research on this gun but I still don?t know what B.S.A.C means. This gun also appears to have a smaller clip than normal Enfields, but I may be wrong. If possible could someone please tell me something about this interesting weapon. An history information would be helpful.

Thank You,

Travis

• 1 month later...

GR

B.S.A.C.

Sht. LE

III *

Hi Travis, dont know if you're still about, but I'll help answer some of your questions.

The markings:

GR = Georgius Rex (King George)

BSA Co = Birmingham Small Arms Co

1917 = Year of manufacture

Sht LE = Short Lee Enfield

III* = 3rd model of the No1 series, the * designated that it was a modified MkIII, ie it was simplified for war time production. The mag cutoff, volley sights, stacking swivel and unit disc were deleted from the manufacting process to save time and effort. The MkIII* was produced by BSA from early 1916-1918.

In all likely hood I say bubba got a hold of that rifle some time back and hacked the forestock down, there are no official shortened stock No1's. So it was probably cut and got a lot of use there after so that it almost 'looks' as if its always been like that. The magazine too, that should hold 10 rounds and when inserted properly the back wall of the mag should be more or less level with the bottom of the trigger guard.

As for the history of the rifle, thats a mystery, there is not much I, or anyone can tell you for certain. Being made in 1917, it most likely saw action in WW1, if it has a brass disc in the buttstock with markings on it, then perhaps it can be traced to a certain regiment, if not then other various govermantal markings are the only rough clue to its past.

Enjoy it! :beer: