News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Shoulder boards... which unit?

Chris,

2. Badisches Grenadier-Regt. Kaiser Wilhelm I. Nr.110

28. Division

Garnison: Mannheim, II Bataillon Heidelberg vom XIV Armee Korps

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

As someone who is not "Into" the uniform thing... 2 things confuse me...

how to tell the difference between the 101 and 110 (Looks the same to me( and how do you get the II Batln? (Is that a II at the bottom?

Thanks

Chris

Chris, I don't know the Bataillon of the boards, I just posted that unlike the other Batl.'s the II. was stationed in Heidelberg.

As to 101 or 110, the Saxon 101 would be square top boards.

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Chris,

These straps are not from the Grenadier Regiment Nr.110. They are from the Saxon Grenadier Rgt. Nr.101. Here is the difference....the Baden regiment had a die-cut cypher. Saxon regiments always had a cypher fashioned from Schnurr on their M15 straps. The Saxon crown was distinctive. The Baden crown was die-cut, of a different style and without any cord. I've attached a picture of three Saxon enlisted M15 straps so you can see what I mean. Saxon shoulder straps for the field uniform were not square topped after 1907.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Is that a II at the bottom?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

I'm deleting everything I just said because I can't seem to be able to see as well as I used to and everything I wrote was incorrect!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Mike,

Both the 101. and the 110. have a Roman numeral "I" underneath the cypher. Take a look at this period regimental postcard from the 101st.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Mike,

Where do you see a "II"? Both the 101. and the 110. have a Roman numeral "I" underneath the cypher. Take a look at this period regimental postcard from the 101st.

Chip

Chip,

You are, of course, correct and I'm a blind idiot who thought it was a II, but that's actually that little center seam on the I. :speechless: Since the photo was a little fuzzy I thought I just couldn't see the space in the II clearly, but after looking at it again it's a seam, not a space, so it's actually a I. I've deleted my original post. Both regiments were dedicated to the first Kaiser, Wilhelm I.

Mike,

On these cord numbers.....you can usually tell what they are by looking at the cord that the cypher is made from. If it is the same width, you have a "I". Cord is only used by certain regiments and a "II" is normally made from two strips of the cypher cord with the addition of a smaller thread/cord across the top and bottom.

Chip

Chip, thank you for correcting me, well presented.

Regards, Hardy

I was making my daily search for Saxon Grenadier 100 and stumbed upon this. Was very excited at first.

Everyone please remember... I NEED A PAIR OF LEIBGRENADIER 100 STRAPS FOR AN ENLISTED MAN. TOP $$$$$paid

I was making my daily search for Saxon Grenadier 100 and stumbed upon this. Was very excited at first.

Everyone please remember... I NEED A PAIR OF LEIBGRENADIER 100 STRAPS FOR AN ENLISTED MAN. TOP $$$$$paid

BTW, nice straps everyone.