News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi

In my data I have a bavarian Generallieutenant receiving the CHGL1. I am wondering if there is any source like the priesdorf volumes for bavarian generals in the 1st half of the 19th century?

Regards

David

Do you have any dates?

Hi Dave

I am specifically looking for Generallieutenant Graf von Isenburg-Philippseich, mentioned as such in 1831. I am looking for firstname, place and date of birth and death and the source of the information.

regards

David

Heinrich Ferdinand Graf zu Isenburg-Philippseich was born in 1770 in Philippseich and died in 1838 in W?chtersbach. Both towns were in the Kurf?rstentum Hessen. He received the title of Graf in 1779. That would have made him 61 in 1831. His oldest son was born in 1794, so he would only have been in his late 30s, so not old enough to be a general.

Heinrich is the only Isenburg-Philippseich in that timeframe at the right age. His father's other sons died young, as did his father's brothers. His grandfather was the first Graf zu Isenburg-Philippseich, so there wouldn't be anyone else with that name.

Why would a member of the higher Hessen nobility be a Bavarian officer?

Heinrich's grandson, Ferdinand zu Isenburg-B?dingen-Philippseich (1832-1893) was a Prussian general, who probably started service in the Kurf?rstlich Hessische Armee.

The Grafschaft ended up in Grand Ducal Hesse when Prussia redrew the maps after 1866.

The 1870 Grand Ducal Hessen state handbook has Heinrich's eldest son as a Generallieutenant a la suite and Generaladjutant. I assume he is in Priesdorff, but just in case:

Georg Kasimir Friedrich Ludwig zu Isenburg-Philippseich

Born: 1794, Philippseich

Died: 1875, Philippseich

Ludewigsorden, Commander 1st Class - 10.2.1839

Order of Philipp the Magninimous, Grand Cross - 26.12.1841

Ranklist entry:

I have a blackbelt in Google-fu.

Thats great dave, thanks. I guess the Isenburg was am bavarian general for the same reason as the several other german princes were prussian generals. And than ofcourse: the prince of all Isenburg lands was a member of the confederation of the Rhine, as was Bavaria. I guess his militairy career started before the confederation was dissolved.

BTW I guess von Throtha's KHW1 stands for Grandcross of the kurhessian Wilhelmsorden?

regards

David

Edited by David M

BTW I guess von Throtha's KHW1 stands for Grandcross of the kurhessian Wilhelmsorden?

Yes

However, looking again at the decorations and practicing more Google Fu, I note something else:

Georg zu Isenburg-Philippseich has PMV and BrMDZ

"PMV" is Prussian Milit?r-Verdienstorden. That's the Pour le M?rite, received on 7 August 1820 when he was 26 years old (he received the 50 year crown on 27 January 1870). "BrMDZ" is the Bavarian Milit?r-Denkzeichen f?r die Feldz?ge von 1813 und 1814. So he was apparently in Bavarian service. I suppose his father could also have been.

Edited by Dave Danner