News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK2 Non Magnetic Core. Opinions?

This just arrived with a couple more. It's unmarked and has a non magnetic core. The ribbon ring on it is also smaller and a little thicker than usual, and reminds me of the one on my Shinkelform. What would this core be made of and what does everyone think of this item in general?

Hello

The cross looks good to me. As for the core, if the greyish white patches that can be seen in a couple of small areas aren't left over cleaning residue, I'd venture zinc.

I like variants and you don't see too many of these so I snatched it up, although it was for sale for awhile. It's in good condition. I wonder who made it?

Hi Steve,

Could your cross be a Paulmann & Crone, Ludensheid? I have two that are magnetic, in their original issue packets, both identical. The narrow, tall beading. The shallow dates, the thick smaller-sized suspension rings, all characteristic of the unmarked 86's. What do you think side by side, your cross on the left, one of mine to the right...

Robert

That's odd, Steve. I never even noticed the difference in the cores until I posted them here. But the detail to the frames is identical. I've heard a lot of opinions around these Paulmann & Crones, multiple cores, etc...Now, I'm beginning to see.

My first set came from a German vet, an entire grouping from him personally. The second packeted set came from a good friend who got his from a vet also. These are the only two packets I have ever seen from Paulmann & Crone, both identical.

Robert

Have you seen any of these 86's with marks on the ring or just unmarked?

Of course most novices get confused with Souval's 98's, and read them upsidedown, thinking they've found an '86', I have yet to see or hear of any marked '86' Paulmann & Crone. I don't think they exist, Steve. All I have to play by are the two packets these two crosses defiantely came in, and from WWII German vets themselves. That settles it for me.

I saw one other Paulmann & Crone on the Collector's Guild months ago.

Robert