News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orders of the Red Star with Award Books

The first is for #3043537 which was awarded in 1952. I'll start with the stars and then post the cover and relevant inside pages of their award books. I would appreciate any help with the names and any other information you can glean from my pictures. Thank you for looking!

Guest Rick Research

1st one-- depending on how sloppy the calligraphy is: Aleksei Nikolaevich AraPov or AraNov. Got that one "neither one nor the other" letter :banger: slap-dash, with nothing else to compare it to. The Red Star was issued on 20 March 1952 with Orders Book filled out 10 May. Dave may have more solid information, but I do NOT think that is one of the mass long service award Ukaz dates...

so that is either a "REAL" award (at a very interesting time :unsure: indeed for Real Action :ninja: ) or perhaps not military. I think the MVD were still getting long service awards like the armed forces in this period. But I'd take a gamble on getting that one researched! :cheers:

2nd one-- Sergei Mikhailovich Mironov. He was still alive circa 2000 because the stamp showing he was issued one of the recent WW2 combatants badges is stamped under his name on that page-- so he showed this as proof he was entitled to that. Privileges start 1 October 1944 :speechless1: which is remarkably early for that high a number. I've got 1,728,XXX down from may 1945!!! As a "B" series Orders Book, my best bet is that he was an enlisted man, though you never know. The Book was isssued 4 March 1947 which also suggests he was fiurther down the food chain in such things. A delayed award might well indicate yet another tragic disability discharge catch up. Another one I'd reasearch! :beer:

3rd one-- Stepan Kuz'mih Gorbatovsky. Privilegs started February 1945 so you've got that one. january 1945. LOTS going on then: Budapest, Slovakia, East Prussia.... :rolleyes: Issued (can't read day) October 1945. Nothing to indicate rank on a suffix-less edition Book, but he didn't wait around long. Why not make it 3 for 3? :rolleyes:

No other clues with these... no campaign medal paperwork?

No, Rick, these were the only documents and awards I received for these gentlemen; no other campaign paperwork was available.

Thank you for your insights. These go on my ever growing list of awards to be researched. . .

Guest Rick Research

Don't let the list get TOO long!

I've been waiting (sigh) a year and a half on one and seven months on partials for 4 others, never knowing when or indeed IF anything will ever come of it all. Sigh....

2nd one-- Sergei Mikhailovich Mironov. He was still alive circa 2000 because the stamp showing he was issued one of the recent WW2 combatants badges is stamped under his name on that page-- so he showed this as proof he was entitled to that. ...

Rick,

The stamp shows he was issued a Certificate of the Participant of the War. Military Commissariats started to issue these certificates at least in 1980, probably earlier. I have no.510595 issued in 1980.

No badges were attached to the certificate. A certificate was necessary to get some advantages (like to be first on the line in the shop when goods arrived).

pluribus

Edited by pluribus

Rick,

The stamp shows he was issued a Certificate of the Participant of the War. Military Commissariats started to issue these certificates at least in 1980, probably earlier. I have no.510595 issued in 1980.

No badges were attached to the certificate. A certificate was necessary to get some advantages (like to be first on the line in the shop when goods arrived).

pluribus

Hi

I have one numbered 470895 which looks like it was issued in 1984 :jumping:

Order of Victory

Hi

I have one numbered 470895 which looks like it was issued in 1984 :jumping:

Order of Victory

Hi,

Yes, nothing wrong with that. Moscow printed them and then sent to the each of soviet republics. Estonian SSR got (speculation) 510.000-520.000, Armenian SSR 490.000-500.000 (speculation) and little by little issued via the local commissariats.

pluribus

Edited by pluribus

Hi,

Yes, nothing wrong with that. Moscow printed them and then sent to the each of soviet republics. Estonian SSR got (speculation) 510.000-520.000, Armenian SSR 490.000-500.000 (speculation) and little by little issued via the local commissariats.

pluribus

Hi Pluribus,

Tahnks very much for the info :cheers:

Mine is issued in Moscow according to the stamps :D

Order of Victory

Hi Pluribus,

Tahnks very much for the info :cheers:

Mine is issued in Moscow according to the stamps :D

Order of Victory

You`re welcome.

Mine is issued by the local military commissar Ltn-Col. Paul Saask, who sent me to the Soviet army in 1982 and welcomed me after the two-years service in 1984.

pluribus