News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Waffenbr?derschaft Medal

Hi,

in conjunction with the DDR/Mongolian thread about the "Medaille der Waffenbr?derschaft" I want to show more documents.

The first document is for a (German) Generalleutnant 1982, at that time he was the commander of a military acadamy.

This document is for the same man in 1966.

The award was instituted 17. February 1966.

The document here is defined as "Ausweis f?r die Verleihung der Medaille an ausl?ndische B?rger"

(Identity card for foreigners)

Source: Feder/Feder, Auszeichnungen der Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik, 1994

But it is not a document for a foreign soldier, it is for a German Generalmajor, at that time commander of a Panzerdivision.

To show the small dimensions, a picture of the medal is added in the same scale.

And here are the dimensions used for foreign decorations, awarded to Germans!

The other foreign documents shown in the picture are award documents for "my" General, only the document down right is for another (German) General. Top left is the (German) document for "Waffenbr?derschaft", the post before.

Regards

Uwe

Guest Rick Research

Was this medal awarded by the rank of the recipient? I thought it was on the Soviet pattern, where first the 3rd class had to be held, then the 2nd class could be given, and then the 1st class?

This Soviet Border Guards General has the "1 stripe" ribbon which got switched from 1st to 3rd class at some point, so it could represent either, though the ribbons here show this was worn circa 1970:

Guest Rick Research

But this travelling parade attendee Soviet General has the "3 stripe" ribbon, in next to last place. I have four of his ribbon bars, so I know from the additions from one set to another that this is the final type ribbon/class version:

This set dates 1985-88. He did not have the Waffenbr?derschaft on a set worn 1975-78.

Hi,

the grade is not forceful combined with the rank.

My documents, only for Germans:

Bronze Generalmajor NVA 1966

Bronze Oberst NVA 1983

Gold Generalleutnant NVA 1982

Gold Major MfS 1985

"My" General owned only Bronze and Gold, not Silver!

Other documents shown here:

Bronze Stabsfeldwebel NVA 1987

Silber (foreign) Generalmajor 1982

Rick,

the design of the ribbon changed in 1967.

Therfore it is difficult, to say it for medal or ribbon bars in that time.

Enclosed is the picture of one of the medal bars of "my" General, both medals correct with 3 stripes! It is a very bright blue.

The stripes for Bronze are more yellow-orange, for Gold more red-orange.

The medal for merit in Silver is marked 900, not on the reverse, but on the rim, on top of the reverse you can find the award number 00XXX. All the decorations with matching documents!

Regards

Uwe

Guest Rick Research

That's very weird and confusing! :speechless1: So NO guidelines for which grade-- "insult" a General with a bronze, and "overdecorate" a Major with a gold? And THEN keep wearing BOTH ribbons with different medals!!! Hmmmmmm.

I guess the only one we can be SURE about is the "2 stripes" silver!!!!! :cheeky::cheers:

That's very weird and confusing! :speechless1: So NO guidelines for which grade-- "insult" a General with a bronze, and "overdecorate" a Major with a gold?

I guess it would have to do with the quantity/quality of the direct contribution to the planning and execution of the multinational exercise?

Hi Rick,

why "overdecorated"?

When the Major did even more for friendship and comradeship between the nations in the Eastern Bloc than the Colonel or the General, who met some foreign soldiers and shook only hands?

The Oberst with the medal in Bronze 1983 was a "Politoffizier", and I think, that there was only very little contact to foreigners.

That is German understatement :D

Regards

Uwe

Guest Rick Research

But wouldn't the Big Important General have his tender feelings hurt:

"THOSE ungrateful Comrades like him BETTER than me?"

I've never heard of a General in ANY army who thought he "deserved" less than a Major!!!! :cheeky:

Rick,

have a look at the post of Paul R:

"I guess it would have to do with the quantity/quality of the direct contribution to the planning and execution of the multinational exercise?"

"quantity/quality", and that is not fixed on a military rank ;) .

We are not in Imperial Germany.

And I know some Generals, who know how to appreciate the merits of other people :D .

Regards

Uwe

Edited by speedytop