News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello readers:

The Preuss. Goldenes Militaer-Verdienst-Kreuz, also known as the "P.L.M. der Unteroffiziere" was awarded a total of 1,773 times during WW I. About 400 recommandations were pending at the end of the conflict but remained so.

The first award dates from late 1916. The ratio of awards to serving other ranks comes to one Cross to 7,200 O.R.. The ratio of Hohenzoller (reserved for officers only) awarded, came to one of 40 potential recipients and for the PLM to one for 480

Recipients of the Goldenes Militaer-Verdienst-Kreuz in the ranks of the Sturmbatailone numbered 27 and were awarded to the following personnel total within Sturmbataillone;

- Sturm Btl. 1 -1 recipient;

- Nr. 2- 2 recipients;

- Jaeger Sturm Btl. 3 -5 recipients;

- Nr. 4- 2 recipients;

- Nr.5- 11 ( eleven!);

- Nr.7 - 1;

- Nr.11 - 1;

- Nr.12 -1

- Sturmabteilung Marine Korps: 3 , incl. the then Off.Stellv. Bernhard Ramcke , in WW II Gen. d. Fallsch.Tr. and recipient of the Knights Cross to the Iron Cross w/Oakleaves , Swords and Diamonds.

While approx. 400 died in action subsequent to the awards, the above seem to have survived that conflict.

Sources: F.J. Ophaus "Das Preuss. Goldene Militaer-Verdienst-Kreuz" , 1936, the less valuable Patzwall edition on the same subject.

Bernhard H. Holst

Thank you, Dave Danner for showing the citation for Karl v. Keitz, Sturm Btl. 11 .

It may also be of interest that only one officer belonging to these elite units was awarded the PLM, namely Hptm. Wilhelm Edler von Graeve, commander of 2. Sturm Btl. with date of November 8, 1918. W. Hamelman gives a brief description of the citation in his reference book on the PLM but it seems not to be for actions in the "Sturmtruppen" specialties. Of course officers were eligible for the Hohenzoller but I am unaware of any easily researcheable (sp) sources for bestowals to army officers having belonged to Sturmtruppen.

Bernhard H. Holst

Rohr gets 11 !!!!

I guess Ramcke's group may be out of our price range? Uhem..... ;-)

Chris, I met Ramcke's son not quite two years ago. He's now an American citizen living in the U.S. I asked him about his father's medals, documents, etc, and he told me they are "still in the family" and the intention is to keep them that way and the items will eventually go to -his- son.

Les

(Bernhard H.Holst @ Jul 24 2007, 12:07 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thank you, Dave Danner for showing the citation for Karl v. Keitz, Sturm Btl. 11 .

It may also be of interest that only one officer belonging to these elite units was awarded the PLM, namely Hptm. Wilhelm Edler von Graeve, commander of 2. Sturm Btl. with date of November 8, 1918. W. Hamelman gives a brief description of the citation in his reference book on the PLM but it seems not to be for actions in the "Sturmtruppen" specialties. Of course officers were eligible for the Hohenzoller but I am unaware of any easily researcheable (sp) sources for bestowals to army officers having belonged to Sturmtruppen.

Bernhard H. Holst

Wilhelm Edler von Graeve received the plM on 8 November 1918. He had also received Baden's highest military honor, the Military Karl Friedrich Merit Order, on March 3, 1916, when he was a battalion commander in GR 110. Recalled in 1938 z.D., in 1941, he was commanding IR 745. He also had a BB3bX, HHO3X, and SA3aX.

Those who received the Military Karl Friedrich Merit Order while in the Sturmbataillone were Lt.d.R. Oskar Geiger and Hptm. Theodor Hartog, both of Sturm-Btl. 1. Also, Lt.d.L. Tobias Baeuerle of the "Sturmtrupp d. 8. Ldw.-Div.", but I don't know if that counts as "Sturmtruppen".

Somewhere I have the list of recipients from the Sturmtruppen of the silver Military Karl Friedrich Merit Medal, Baden's highest enlisted decoration of the war. I'll see if I can dig it up. I know there were two to Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 2, two to Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 7, six to Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 8, and one to Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 11.

Edited by Dave Danner

(Dave Danner @ Jul 25 2007, 15:13 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Wilhelm Edler von Graeve received the plM on 8 November 1918. He had also received Baden's highest military honor, the Military Karl Friedrich Merit Order, on March 3, 1916, when he was a battalion commander in GR 110. Recalled in 1938 z.D., in 1941, he was commanding IR 745. He also had a BB3bX, HHO3X, and SA3aX.

Those who received the Military Karl Friedrich Merit Order while in the Sturmbataillone were Lt.d.R. Oskar Geiger and Hptm. Theodor Hartog, both of Sturm-Btl. 1. Also, Lt.d.L. Tobias Baeuerle of the "Sturmtrupp d. 8. Ldw.-Div.", but I don't know if that counts as "Sturmtruppen".

Somewhere I have the list of recipients from the Sturmtruppen of the silver Military Karl Friedrich Merit Medal, Baden's highest enlisted decoration of the war. I'll see if I can dig it up. I know there were two to Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 2, two to Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 7, six to Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 8, and one to Sturm-Bataillon Nr. 11.

Hello Dave.

Thank you for the additional biographical data on W. Edler v. Graeve and the awards bestowed on other offcers belonging to the Sturm Btl.

I shall scrutinise Bruce I. Gudmundson's "Stormtroop Tactics" for information re. additional small units which could be considered "Sturmtruppen".

The "Bayerns Goldenes Ehrenbuch" may list recipients of the Goldene or Silberne Tapferkeitsmedaille who served in these elite units. It would be interesting to see a list of Silver Military Karl Friedrich Merit Medal.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Dave Danner

Silberne Karl-Friedrich-Militär-Verdienstmedaille:

Eckert, Josef, Vzfw., Sturm-Btl. 2: 1.8.17
    Hofmann, Gustav, Vzfw.d.R., Sturm-Btl. 2: 4.7.18

Biehler, August, Gren., Sturm-Btl. 7: 28.5.18
    Osiander, Wilhelm Hans, Gefr., Sturm-Btl. 7: 2.9.18

Bordne, Friedrich, Uffz., Sturm-Btl. 8: 22.6.18
    F?ll, Franz, Uffz., Sturm-Btl. 8: 10.11.17
    Haas, Eduard, Uffz., Sturm-Btl. 8: 10.11.17
    Kern, August, Uffz., Sturm-Btl. 8: 25.7.18
    Oettle, Adolf, Uffz., Sturm-Btl. 8: 25.3.18
    Weber, Friedrich, Gefr., Sturm-Btl. 8: 25.3.18

Leist, Karl, Vzfw.d.L./Offz.Stellv., Sturm-Btl. 11: 18.5.18

By the way, 6 awards to Sturm-Btl. 8 and only 2 to Sturm-Btl. 7 seems odd, since Sturm-Btl. 7 was a Badisch battalion while Sturm-Btl. 8 was supposedly West Prussian and Pomeranian. Sturm-Btl. 11 was also drawn from West Prussian and Pomeranian units, while Sturm-Btl. 2 was mainly from the Rhineland.

Edited by Dave Danner

I only see one Golden St. Henry Medal to a member of a Sturm-Bataillon: Vizefeldwebel Otto Krüger of Sturm-Btl. 11 on 2 June 1918. There is also one on 28 August 1917 to Vizefeldwebel Otto Kretzschmar of the Sturm-Kommando of the 24.Reserve-Division.

Here is Krüger's story:

[EDIT: I don't have the scans anymore, although I have the book somewhere]

Edited by Dave Danner

Hello ,

Thanks to Dave Danner for showing Baden and Saxon awards to members of Sturm Btl., I also enjoyed reading the account of Vzfw. O. Krueger, in particular his mention of "gestreckte Ladung " which I believe are known in Anglo-Military terms as Bengalore (Torpedoes).

The above mentioned book by Bruce I. Gudmundson lists two Sturm Kompanien with numbers of 13 and 18 which he describes as fitting the overall numbering system applied ( 15 battalions and 2 companies). I have meanwhile found mention of bay. Sturmkompagnie 14 as the unit to which a Unteroffizier d. R. Peter Burkart belonged who received the Bay. Silb. Tapferkeitsmedaille ( Bav. Silver Bravery Medal) with date of deed as 21.Sep.1917 against russian forces. I have not located any recipient of the Gold Bravery medal to a member of Sturm Btl.

BTW: Gudmundson also states that personnel for these elite units were not recruited in the conventional way i.e. from certain geographical areas and had no assigned home bases/garrisons.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 5 years later...

Hi Bernhard,

Do you have a list if the Goldenes Militaer-Verdienst-Kreuz winner for SB5?

Thanks

Chris

Hello Chris:

I have the reference book of all the recipients of the Prussian Gold Military Merit Cross.

I would have to collate the listed members of SB 5. Do you want the names and other data for them?

I am pressed for time today but could look through the book in the very near future to provide the information.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Chris,

from the book: Das preußische goldene Militär-Verdienst-Kreuz Namensverzeichnis der Ordensinhaber 1936

Wilhelm Balzer Offizier-Stellvertreter Verleihungsdatum 06.06.1918 Verleihungsnummer 689 from the 18. Armee

Rudolf Busse Unteroffizier 08.11.1918 1665 from the 5. Armee

Moritz Däubner Offizier-Stellvertreter 08.11.1918 1664 5. Armee

Wilhelm Funke Unteroffizier 03.05.1918 558 18. Armee

Heinrich Kohlmeyer Vizefeldwebel 02.06.1918 496 18. Armee

Plagmann Offizier-Stellvertreter 03.05.1918 557 18. Armee

Johann Raphael Vizefeldwebel 30.08.1918 1097 3. Armee

Robert Ritzdorf Offizier-Stellvertreter 30.08.1918 1098 3. Armee

Josef Rübenach Unteroffizier 02.06.1918 497 18. Armee

all in Sturmbataillon 5 but different Armyunits.

KR

Andreas