News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uncertain French medal

Troy Tempest

Good evening again Gentlemen! This arrived today, and it was labelled French Forein Legion Valor medal, but I don't know, the reverse seems to say something different. I would like to ask the brains trust of GMIC if they can identify this for me!

Sorry about the photos and thanks in advance!

Croix Du Combattant

"Instituted 28th June 1930 for award to holders of the combatants card. Awarded to the veterans of the Great War and many of the participants of conflicts involving French forces since (including WW2, Korea, Indochina, North Africa, etc).

In 1941 the Vichy Government authorised a new version of the Combatants Cross with the dates 1939-1940 on the reverse (last picture). The ribbon for the Vichy version was sky blue with black edges and three black central stripes. Wearing of the Vichy Combatants Cross was outlawed in 1944."

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/foreigngu...rance_index.htm

Regards

Alex

Croix Du Combattant

Hello Gents,

It isn't ... it's the Military Valour Cross as can be seen on the link Ed Haynes provided. Very nice pictures on the "northeastmedals" website and decent information even if somewhat incomplete for some of the medals there.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hendrik is right. This is the current Croix de la Valeur militaire (CVM), created during the Algerian war in the 1950s and continued since.

This cross is worn when a mention in dispaches (citation) has been won. Its ribbon should ALWAYS carry an device (star or palm according to the Military Command who awarded the MID).

It can be bought from the French Mint without the devices, these being added according to the individual requirement. Cost is about 15Euro (?11).

Men in the Foreign Legion, as members of any other unit liable to go into combat, have received this award when it was earned. CVMs are still being awarded in Afganistan and elsewhere. No one can tell if a CVM was awarded to a member of the Foreign Legion without its citation.

Best regards

Veteran

Just called them on the 'phone.

Latest news : the CVM is 17 Euro and each ribbon device (star or palm) is 2.50 Euro. A regulation cross complete would cost around ?13 or $25.

If you want to order medals & decorations in current use : http://boutique.monnaiedeparis fr You will naturally have to add postage, cost of exchange etc..

You will have to state exactly what you wish, they are not equiped to deal with inquiries, except in french : tel.: 00 33 1 40 46 58 96

They will send, upon request, a list of available orders and decorations with a price-list. This is an open situation, regulated by french law. You can buy most (except a very small number) orders and decorations from the Mint and legitimate trade.

WARNING :

IF YOU WEAR THEM IN PUBLIC WITHOUT BEING INTITLED, YOU ARE HEAVILY FINED - IF YOU DO IT AGAN YOU GO TO JAIL.

SIMPLE AND STRAIGHTFORWARD !

I hope this proves usefull

Best regards

Veteran

sorry for the off-topic, the site you gave, I don't understand the prices.

http

://boutique.monnaiedeparis.fr/is-bin/I...p;Boutique=B2C

like this Legion d'honneur

Prix Europe TTC
    165,00 ?

Prix Export*

137,96 ?

*Livraison hors Union Europ?enne.

does this mean the shipping and handling costs 137,96 euro?