News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

North Vietnamese Victory Order: Early Version?

Ulsterman

Bifter, we are all (mostly) serious collectors here and not a few of those here are very,very serious (Senior NCO and officers are not renowned for their silliness) types, so please speak as if you are addressing an adult.

If you wish to be taken seriously here and have others respond to you, then please use adult English. Good spelling and grammar is optional, but preferred.

Having said that I would be very grateful if you'd post your Democratic Republic of Yemen medals. I would love to see them and I know others would as well (esp. Ed and Owain).

Below is my only Vietnamese medal. There is also a Communist party badge with it.

hello! thanks a lot for this picture... this order looks like it was made of brass, and not aluminium as for most vietnamese orders. Am I right?

I don't know. It certainly seems brass from the front and is "heavier" than pure aluminium, but here's the back. I got it very cheap last year at a gun show. The enamel is perfect.

well, it looks like a metal alloy heavier than aluminium can used elsewhere. I love the suspension device; everything looks authentic; I'd jump on such a piece in a militaria fair!

Guest Rick Research

According to Edward J. Emering's confusing book on PRVN awards (illustration CAPTIONS often do not match TEXT :banger: ) this is the Victory Order-- though it's captioned as "Soldier of Liberation Order." "Victory" is what the obverse says. He states that there were three classes, distinguished by different ribbons, and divided by the rank of the "Comrade" for service between 1946 and 1954 ONLY.

but shows only this one, so NO idea which class is represented. :banger:

Has anyone got another one with a different ribbon for comparison?

Since it was created in 1958, this may be a nice (by NVN standards) 1950s-60s piece. If replacements are still being made, they'd probably sbe in that horrible thin Coke can metal.

The pin is for members of the Communist Youth organization, and may be current or still in use.

Unlike many countries with stripes on the ribbon denoting the class of the Order or Medal the North Vietnamese system starts with the third class having one stripe, second two and the first class has three stripes, meaning that the award shown if the ribbon is correct, is the third class.

Best regards Eddie.

* Just a note to add- the same applies to the gold star devices third class one star, second class two stars and the first class has three stars on the ribbon.

Edited by Taz