News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The "Remember 1848" Commemorative Medal

Ulsterman,

I think that you may be some misunderstanding what Cimbineus is telling you. WHat he has said is that the ribbons on your 1848 Commemorative medal were not the correct ones but were very similar, almost identical, ribbons that used on a different medal after the end of the HUPR. IE post 1990. This an excellent example of why it is necessary to know something about the medals/militaria of a country in the more modern times than in an older period only. We receive numerous posts on the Bundesrepublic Deutscheland forum that I co moderate on the WAF from Third Reich collectors wanting to know if an artifact is post war or not.

Cimbineus,

A question. When did they stop using the wire hook on the ribbons and start using the aluminum hook as is show in the early posts on this thread.

Regards,

Gordon

... Cimbineus is telling you ... that the ribbons on your 1848 Commemorative medal were not the correct ones but were very similar ribbons that used on a different medal after the end of the HUPR. IE post 1990...

Yes, exactly! This is the case! Those are also real, existing ribbons, but for different medals.

... A question. When did they stop using the wire hook on the ribbons and start using the aluminum hook as is show in the early posts on this thread....

Gordon,

There was no exact date even exact year when they changed the hook. It came into existence gradually, step by step from the early '70s, but the old hooks also appear time to time even in early '80s. From mid '80s already the great majority of hooks were the new ones, as far as I can recall. And one more thing. In some cases, although the order or medal was produced and awarded in the '80s, it could happen that they had quite an amount of earlier ribbons and they used them up, while in other cases already the new hook existed.

Regards,

cimbineus

yayyyy!!

:cheers:

So, were there different production runs of this medal?

Thanks! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

No, there was just one type of medal, and produced just ones. Basically, there are no variations as well, except some miss-painted ones, where during the production the workers mixed up the colours on the flags. :-)

cimbineus

Thanks, but no I did not misunderstand.

The medal itself that I own has a different hook system-but ALSO look at it and compare it to some of the others. The definition is not as good and there are some other minor differences (flags/top attachment, patina).

Ricks' simply LOOKs of better quality than mine and having seen it, I think it is a better strike than the one I own.I understood that to mean it was a later made fake.

Thanks, but no I did not misunderstand. The medal itself that I own has a different hook system-but ALSO look at it and compare it to some of the others. The definition is not as good and there are some other minor differences. I always understood that to mean it was a later made fake.

Your ribbon today has started its long journey to you ... 104f439dbef97bad2ee2add4b549c2e1.gif

Edited by cimbineus