News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The "Remember 1848" Commemorative Medal

One of my all time favorite commemorative awards-put out in 1948 to commemorate the revolution(s) of 1848, it was allowed to be worn during the Communist era. I suspect it is a brilliant illustration of the tensions of 1948, when Hungary was being pushed towards Stalinism. The medal, beautifully made of bronze with enameled flags, (only @3,000 awards) was to perhaps remind Hungarians of their long commitment to democracy and their national identity at a time when slowly but surely, pluralism was being undermined by those who looked east.

Guest Rick Research

I've always thought that the "blind" eyes and pointed face/eyebrows/ears made this a particularly diabolical looking portrait-- not at ALL pleasing the way the reverse design is.

Ulstermann - you have generaly hit it on the head. The timing could not have been better for the Hungarian Communist Party for it to have been 1948. True to the propoganda of the moment, books and pamphlets were published enmasse elevating at times Kossuth and Petofi Sandor to the fathers of Hungarian Communism. Granted in 1848, both figures were more liberal than their contemproaries, but the communists litteraly began to re-write history to their polical flavor.

Another such boost was the Red Armies return of the captured 1848 Battle flags, which were retrned to none other than the Hungarian Communist Party...interstingly enough some of the flags had been returned in 1940 in exchenge for the release of the then political prisoner Matyas Rakosi...

Oh yes they are!

According to my friend who serves in the 32nd IR - (which is sadly being disbanded after more that 200 years of service!) the rules of action state that the battle standard of the regiment is to be protected above the commanding officer. The honor guard is only to have death separate them from the battle standard.

They take those standards very seriously now!

• 1 month later...

Celebrations held on March 15th were only for two days and the political parties used it to all they could - here is a nice badge I got lately that would have been worn by someone - I think this may have been for the Smallholders Party? But not certain???

• 9 months later...

Ed,

The method of securing the end of the ribbon with a hook and eye has two distinct types on medals worn during the HUPR. The early type with the steel hook made of wire, as posed by Charles, and the later type made of aluminum, as shown on the medal posted by Ulsterman and yourself. It is my understanding that a period ribbon would have the type of hook and eye as is shown on Charles medal. Perhaps he can comment on that.

Regards,

Gordon

Aluminum hooks are always a clear sign of more recent times - they always appear on "replacement" or "reproduction". Officially the aluminum hooks came out after 1991. In the late 1970's to the "end" of the HUPR they did use a flimsy steel, but not the aluminum. As this was a more "republic" award it could be (though I was unaware) that there may have been some restrikes after 1991.

• 4 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Mine arrived today from all the wrong way around the globe-- thanks to Verdun16!!! :cheers::jumping:

The ONLY good thing that has happened here so far this year!!!

Guest Rick Research

Now, for the NEW part to this thread-- it came in a red paperboard case with a simple glued hinge and a white flocked fitted insert to hold this distinctively shaped medal. Top and bottom of the box:

Two thirds of these went to "Ministry of the Interior" personnel-- ? policemen or :unsure: state security?

In addition to any awards for police/publ;ic order personnel under dictatorships, this one simply appealed to me on aesthetic grounds. The portrait is just... frighteningly AWFUL!!!

Rick,

Nice to see this went to a good home. I debated on bidding for this piece as I had never seen the case for the medal before but decided to let someone else be the lucky new owner. The medal is in the best shape I have ever seen. At least from the foto. Mine is also in good shape but the uncased ones tend to get tossed into boxes with other stuff and suffer from that.

Regards,

Gordon

• 8 months later...

Gents,

It is not too pleasant to bring the bad news, but unfortunately sometimes someone has to play the unpleasant role of this kind as well, like me now.

No, Gents! The question in this case is not the type of hook, or anything else, or its material, or the weave stile etc. These two ribbons (Ed's and Ulsterman's) are simply not the correct ones. Your ribbons are recent ribbons from the Ministry of Defence recent Merit Medal 1st Class (or Merit Medal in Gold previously). These new ribbons and the original ones are totally different not only in materials, quality of the work, appearance etc, but in the type of the so call national colour "wolf's teeth" too, at the edges of it. Just compare them, please. Here is a picture:

48-szalagok_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

But now comes the good news for Ed and Ulsterman. These two correct ribbons in the picture are spare ones and I am ready to present those to you, if you accept them and if I receive your addresses in a PM.

Regards,

cimbineus