News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Boxer rebellion medal

Laurence Strong

Thanks Ed. Is 400USD in the ballpark?

Based on the prices I heard quoted at OMSA, that would be a very good price.

I can only find two just now (at NOT ONE OF THE CHEAPER dealers), the first boxed at ?645.00, the second boxless at ?595.00.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul

I have all except the 1st "1874 Formosa Expedition War Medal", not sure if any would even exist, and the last one "1941-45 Great East Asia War Medal" which can only be found as a repro, though I do plan on getting one eventually.

Edited by Laurence Strong

Hi Paul

I have all except the 1st "1874 Formosa Expedition War Medal", not sure if any would even exist, and the last one "1941-45 Great East Asia War Medal" which can only be found as a repro, though I do plan on getting one eventually.

Not meaning to boast :rolleyes: but I have both of these. The 1874 turns up from time to time and at present costs about $5,000 or so in Japan if you can find one. They are difficult to find but not impossible if you are patient and have a large bank balance ! The GEAWM is harder to find and repros abound. The repros are actually made for veterans who feel they are entitled to it and can be found easily in Japan. The originals turn up once every few years, normally when an old collection is sold.

:cheers:

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Not meaning to boast :rolleyes: but I have both of these. The 1874 turns up from time to time and at present costs about $5,000 or so in Japan if you can find one. They are difficult to find but not impossible if you are patient and have a large bank balance ! The GEAWM is harder to find and repros abound. The repros are actually made for veterans who feel they are entitled to it and can be found easily in Japan. The originals turn up once every few years, normally when an old collection is sold.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If possible, I would like that you post here clear photos of the 'Front' and 'Back' (comprising the ribbons) of the 2 ORIGINAL medals you have, i.e. of :

- 1st "1874 Formosa Expedition War Medal'';

- GEAWM.

Is it this possible ? (It's to include them in my reference database and so, to make the difference with the modern reproductions/fakes)

Thanking you in advance

All the Best

Lilo

Hi Lilo,

I will, once I get them out of the bank vault when I am next there.

I am in the process of gathering together the final pieces I need to start writing a book on Japanese awards which will be far more detailed than Peterson, however do not hold your breath since it will take a while to complete given how busy I am with my day job !

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Lilo,

I will, once I get them out of the bank vault when I am next there.

I am in the process of gathering together the final pieces I need to start writing a book on Japanese awards which will be far more detailed than Peterson, however do not hold your breath since it will take a while to complete given how busy I am with my day job !

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

No problem at all for waiting but please not forget to post here the 2 photos when you get the 2 medals from the bank vault.

All the Best

Lilo

Paul:

Quit your day job.

Write your book.

Please . . . .

Ed

I am drawing up a list of the items I need to make the book puurrfect in every way.

As you know yourself, these little projects take longer than we first estimate. However it will happen, and it will be worht the wait :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul

Congrats!!

Hey lads, somobody can tell me if this is possible to find replacement ribbons for japanese medals???.

I have some campaign medals with the ribbons almost destroyed...

Thanks

Miguel