News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal of Merit for Service to the Country

This week I have been lucky enough to pick up an early issue of the subject thread and an early plastic ribbon bar device to go with it. It is interesting to show the comparison of both issues. Here is a picture of the front of the early issue award with its associated plastic ribbon bar device. I don't have the correct case for the early issue yet but the background is from a contemporaray case.

Edited by Gordon Craig

A picture of three different awards in my collection to show the wide variation of ribbon colours one can expect to find in this award. Also note that the national colours are formed from a separate piece of cloth and sewn to the suspension ribbon rather than woven into the materila at manufature.

• 2 years later...

SasaYu,

Sorry but I don't remember what I paid for mine. My medals and all my inventory stuff is still packed away from my move from Hungary to Canada. Here is North America they would probably go for U.S.$30.00 to $35.00. You should be able to get a cased one for less where you live.

Regards,

Gordon

Thank you Gordon.

I have one that is offered to me for 7.50 euros, and I was wandering is it a fair price, since Orders and medals of Hungary are not my area of interest.

Still, it looks nice and I am thinking should I buy it ?

• 10 months later...

Gents,

Here is an extremely rare piece, the very first version of this Medal from 1956. Its original name was: "Commemorative Medal for Service to the Country". It was awarded just once to some officers and general officers on the then Army Day, i.e. 29th September 1956. My estimation for the three grades all together is not more than two dozens!

I kindly warn you and be aware that these medals are beloved pieces of almost all fakers, so, if you are offered one, simply do not believe your fortune, there are no miracles...

(The name of the medal was changed to "Medal of Merit for the Service to the Country" in 1964.)

Regards,

cimbineus

image-D7FF_4C87E17F.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here is my bronze grade of the Medal of Merit for Service to the Country 1956-1965. Is it okay?

Hi,

Yes, the Medal is okay, but with a slight correction. These Merit Medals were from 1964 to 1989.

Those in 1956-1957 were a bit different in their appearance and their name was Commemorative Medal for Service to the Country, and these are extremely scarce.

Regards,

cimbineus

Gents,

This picture shows all three types of the Medal. The first type is with the ’49 coat of arms. The second type is with the ‘Kossuth’ coat of arms. And, the last five ones are the five variations of the third type with the ’57 coat of arms.

Regards,

cimbineus

HSZEE-het-arany_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Gordon,

Please, see the differences comparing the averses and the reverses of the Medals. Only one thing is not obvious from the pictures, the difference between the Medals No. 5. and No. 6. Those are basically similar pieces but the No. 5 is finished in traditional enamel, whilst the No. 6. is covered with coloured epoxy resin, a kind of plastic. The last one is simply painted. (Plastics and paints?! Disgusting! Where are the old traditions of the Hungarian medallists?)

Regards,

cimbineus