News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Bayern Navy Doctor who served in China

I have been researching this ribbon bar for a year and a half.

Most of the time has been spent banging my head against the well to figure it out. The ribbon bar consists of the EK, Hindenburg w/o swords, Red Eagle, Prussian Crown, Long Service, China w/Tientsin, Centennial, Bayern Ludwig and Bayern Jubilee. The bar, front and abck is pictured below. So I was looking for a Navy officer who served in China but had Bayern roots. The officer did not do much in WWI due to most of the high order ribbons being after the Hindenburg. Also he was in before 1897 and was probable a stay at home guy on the Bayern home front because of the Ludwig and no swords on the Hindenburg.

Using several different sources I found a Navy Doctor who made "Admiral" after the war, M.Ob.G.A. Josef Freymadl. He left the Navy in 1914 prior to the outbreak of the war so he is not listed in the 1914 pr 1918 Navy RL.

His 1913 Navy RL entry show his RAO4, PCO3 and DA. He entered Navy service in 1883 so he would have also had the Centennial. That accounts for 4 of the 9.

Edited by Paul C

The Navy doctors list show that he was a Bayern native and rear area service during the war. As a Bayern native he would have received in Bayern Prinz Ludwig in 1911, so not listed in DOA and since he had rear area service in Bayern he would have recieved the Ludwig which was the Bayern version of the war service for Bayern. So 9 of 9 hit. Also the Hindenburg w/o swords makes sense. I also checked that he did not receive any other Bayern decoration during the war. In regards to the combattant EK I can not determine when a person was given the NK or K version of the EK. The only reason I can think of is that since he was military he received the combattant version rather then the NK version. Any additional information or comments are welcome.

Edited by Paul C

Guest Rick Research

Cannot read what the two bars are on his China medal because of the newsprint dots reproduction. But I very much doubt a miniaturized "Seymour Expedirtion" was readily available! :speechless1:

(Heiko?)

? Biblio Verlag-- these volumes are a MUST. There cannot be many still available, since they came out almost 20 years ago. BUY THEM before they're gone to the Rare Books dealers!!!

Guest Rick Research

China service confirmed, though WHERE is always a question for naval personnel. They were assigned randomly so many from each sized ship. Tinetsin was the beach head until army reinforcements could arrive. The most likely second bar would have been for the abortive Seymour Expedition, which failed to reach Peking.