News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hero Of Ukraine To OUN-UPA leader Roman Shukhevych

Hero Of Ukraine To OUN-UPA leader Roman Shukhevych I am shocked - Ukrainian President Yuschenko Awards Hero Of Ukraine Title To Shukhevych: :speechless1:

Interfax: Hero of Ukraine title for URA Commander "a state crime" - Symonenko

Ukranian News - Yuschenko Awards Hero Of Ukraine Title To Shukhevych

Just to remind what kind of a "hero" was Roman Shukhevych:

- terrorist, most famous in the 1920s for assassinating several prominent Polish government officials;

- graduate of officer school in Hitler's Germany;

- SS officer (I would like to see evidence of this though);

- activist in anti-partisan raids in Ukraine during WW2;

- recipient of several 3rd Reich awards, including 2 Iron Crosses (I would appreciate if anyone has more info on this);

- person who directed killings of tens of thousand Ukrainian and Polish civilians during and after the war.

What seems to be going on here is the trend to glorify anything related to nationalists and OUN-UPA, while reducing the significance of heroic deeds of the rest of Ukrainians fighting on the other side in the Soviet Army.

In all fairness, why don't we see Ukrainian president giving Hero title to Soviet generals who liberated Ukraine and to the partisans who fought during occupation? Why aren't they considered Heroes in modern Ukraine?

And how about international laws? At the Nurnberg trial German SS, certain police units and zondercommands were deemed war criminal entities, why then the head of independent nation who wants to be accepted into European community chooses to glorify individuals associated with such organizations?

William

Gentlemen,

that nasty incident shows clearly the political orientation of that Mr. Yuschenko :angry::speechless1: .

At least Roman Shukhevych got his Hero-Title posthumous ;) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Shukhevych

UPA appeal poster:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Insurgent_Army

Any official reactions from Israel, Russia, Poland or Belarus :unsure: ?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus