News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Reputedly a German Soldiers Purse?

Hallo Gents. :beer:

a friend of mine in Germany sent me the following pictures of an item,

that he has been told is a soldiers purse, circa WW1.

Its in a green woven material, 6,5cm diameter x 36cm long with 9cm long slit and two rings (for closing the purse) and a personalized motif at one end - apparently ww1 German soldiers put their coins and small items and wrapped it around their belt, before going into battle (seller blurb)

The lettering on one end of the purse reads Ch. B possibly Christan B --.

Any comments, good or bad, are welcome.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Couldn't anyone give virtually anything to anyone? Perhaps it was French and the name CH B stood for Christophe B. So if it were on sale I'd say - buy the piece (for what its worth) and not the story.

Jim :cheers:

Hallo JimZ :cheers:

thanks for your reply, with regards this item, as I stated in "post 1",

a friend of mine asked for help to identify it, I never said I was buying it.

I also know its not "official" issue, I was just trying to help identify it to a specific time and place.

Although the Item looks green to him, to my eyes it is blue with white tinge,

seeing the item was located in Bavaria, I though of the State Colors,

but that might just be the effects of the scanner.

The initials being in the Gothic Script possibly indicate a German connection,

but thats just conjecture on my part.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Kev

This type of purse was quite common in the early 19th century - 1800 on - but I've no idea when they stopped being used. The net knitting and rings are pretty diagnostic and when I can recall the name of them I'll look up some examples. German, English, French ??? Who can say, unless the lettering style is a help.

Peter

Here we are: 'stocking purse', 'ring purse' or - my favourite - 'miser's purse'

"Small knitted, netted or crocheted silk or cotton coin purses are also characteristic of this period and were known as stocking purses, or 'miser' purses. By mid century these had metal fastenings and the whole was often made of a delicate metal chain, which supported sovereigns and half sovereigns, hence the term 'sovereign purse'." (Hampton Museum)