News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BRD Luftwaffe "Ike" tunic

• 2 weeks later...

Ed,

An rare tunic and I would love to add one of these to my collection of BRD uniforms. It is the "SERVICE DRESS" for the Bundesluftwaffe and came into wear in the 50s (I won't give a specific year because my reference books differ on that although 56/57 seems to be fairly accurate) when West Germany moved away from the very American uniform they had originally adopted for the BW to something more "German" in apearance. The rank is that of Hauptgefreiter (UA). Keep digging through your "long lost" closets. Especially if you are going to find more tunics like this one.

Regards,

Gordon

PS I just looked at your photos again and I guess from the dated tag 1956 is a good date for introduction.

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hi,

it is a jacket belonging to the "Dienst- und Ausgehanzug" of the Luftwaffe, the service dress. For enlisted men and corporals/staff sergeants (Flieger - Stabsunteroffizier/Airmen - Staff Sergeant).

It is the first type of a service dress in the Bundeswehr.

The jacket is from 1956, "updated" 1957 with the collar tabs.

The shoulder boards should be peaked and not rounded?

The rank is Obergefreiter (UA). Airman 2nd Class, NCO candidate (UA = Unteroffizieranw?rter)

Regards

Uwe

Edited by speedytop

Hi Gordon,

I do not know it, but the first uniforms are rare, particular from a general.

Your shown shoulderboard is a later "updated" version, because there is the red underlay. The first shoulderboards had only the golden cord.

Regards

Uwe

Edited by speedytop

Uwe,

Thanks for the respnse and the comments on the Generals uniform. The picture of the shoulderboard is from a tunic in my collection and I know what it was worth when I bought it. Just curious to see if you knew what the Luftwaffe tunics were going for. Do you know when they started to add the red trim to the Generals tunics like mine?

Here is a photo of General des II. Korps, Generalleutnant Max Pemsel RKT wearing shoulderboards without the red trim.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

it started in 1962 with the rounded shoulderboards for all ranks and the coloured "underlay" for officers and generals. In red for generals, the other officer ranks in the the colours according to the branch of service (waffenfarbige Unterlage).

Enlisted men and NCO's had a coloured piping (Paspel) around the shoulderboard, according to the branch of service.

Is there a label inside the inner left breast pocket (look Post 3), that you can date your jacket, "updated" 1962?

Regards

Uwe

Gordon, please excuse, but you must not correct the use of KKB/KKBw markings.

You could order and buy there complete tailored uniforms, not only the manufactured uniforms.

You can compare KKB/KKBw with other shops as Rahne or Kuhnert etc.

Regards

Uwe