News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HUUUGGEE medal bar! possible but is she plausible?

ok not HUUUUGEEEE but i finally got my first complete big medal bar! now on WAF it was 50/50 whether it was real or not! the way i think it could be is that he entered the navy say around 1900(no 1897 medal) had a fairly non-eventfuly war and then did a bit of service in the freekorps and then a quiet war in ww2! looking at the wear it does seem that have been together a while! maybe the gold wreath doesnt belong bit i reckon it could be real!what do you guys think? any help would be great!!! :cheers:

heres the link to!

<a href="http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=241400" target="_blank">http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=241400</a>

Edited by paddywhack

Any bar with 40 years long service awards is a killer, any. I had to read the whole WAF thread to realize it's a PRUSSIAN long service cross, not a Wehrmacht one. The bar is highly unusual with this and some other things, but my *feeling* is rather good. But - what do the experts say? I hope to come to sleep now, without knowing what Rick says ...

:blush::sleep:

There are two specific things wrong:

1. The oaks and eagle on the Prussian long service. That could be someone's embellishment.

2. The Flanders Cross, which would not be authorized on a WW2-era bar. They are sometimes seen, though, but not on an active officer's bar.

As for the Red Eagle, there are a small number of naval officers who were commissioned after 1897 who got their RAO4s by 1914, and who don't have anything but an Iron Cross in the 1918 ranklist.

So best case scenario: one of these officers who got out after getting the 1939 KVK2X and had a Frackspange made. Not being bound by regulations, he included the Flanders Cross. Then he or someone else improperly embellished the bar with the oaks and eagle.

Worst case: someone else went to this effort but got all these details wrong.

I don't think there is any way to say for sure either way.