News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Georgian uniform stamps

Several uniforms have recently come into my custody that have a reported provenace from a "museum in Tiblisi". While some aspects of this bother me (a lot), I know the variable realities.

Given the volatile (at best) nature of Soviet unoiform collecting -- may I show you some of my my scars? -- I am reluctant, at present, to post these fully and publically.

In the interim, may I request assiastance on the stamps inside two of these tunics?

1-

Guest Rick Research

MORE accurately, seeking TRANSLATIONS.

I assume, following Soviet practice, these say something like "Sewing Factory Tbilisi" or some such equally :sleep: but the Georgian squeeglies are a puzzlement.

Linguistic curiosity. :catjava:

Hello Again From Tbilisi

As promised, I have some translations for those of you who are interested in such trivial minutiae. Well, wait. I guess that would be all of us.

Post #1 (left): Tbilisi Film Studio, Military Clothes Depot #3, item #879

#1(right): Not clear enough to make out anything but the 1929.

#3: Similar to #1, Depot #4, inventory item 1035.

#4: Also similar to #1 except pre-1935 as it says Tiflis instead of Tbilisi.

Chuck In Oregon

Currently, Chuck In Tbilisi

Fascinating! Thanks Chuck!

Thanks to the film studios (primarily MOSFILM and LENFILM) and theaters in the USSR, many fantastic uniforms survived, including some one of a kind pieces that were otherwise destroyed/descarded but were kept by the studios. (And TONS of nice German stuff also!)

I visited a fellow collector in Moscow once who had bought cases of military hats from MOSFILM when they sold out their stocks in the early 90s. His hobby was restoring them. In these cases were shoved literally dozens of hats and helmets, stretching all the way back to the brass-faced grenadier helmets from the first half of the 19th century! Why the film studio had originals of these hats, we'll never know, but they've been preserved now...

Dave